It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:00 am 

[split]

BTW, I just set up a new wiki that I hope will become a one stop shop for reference material and tutorials on writing games for classic game consoles. The wiki is at http://www.classicgamedev.com.

Right now I only have sections for the NES and Atari Lynx (both are 6502 machines). I hope to expand it to cover as many classic gaming machines as I can. I want the site to have easy to follow instructions that get any moderately skilled programmer set up with the correct hardware/software and project skeletons so that they can start coding as quickly as possible. Then I also want to have pages that thoroughly explore the different bits of hardware from a software writers perspective and general articles on writing the various subsystems of a game (e.g. audio, input, memory management, animation, etc) on each platform. I've been working on the Atari Lynx pages for the last week or so and have made good progress along those lines. I'd like to do the same type of thing for the NES section as well.

I encourage all of you to sign up for accounts and help build the one place that contains all of the collective NES/Lynx development knowledge that is out there.

I started the site because I'm constantly frustrated with having to google around to find tutorials on some aspect of writing a game for a NES/Lynx only to find the pages are either long gone or in German (no offense to Germans, but I only speak English). It's about time somebody started the wikipedia of classic game development.

--Wookie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:36 am 

The classicgamedev page looks promising.

You're right that there is few pages collecting info for all systems together in an organized way, and the few that does (zophar.net and romhacking.net are the only one I can think of) aren't really dedicated to gamedev, but more on hacking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:44 am 

It would be great to have a site like that... I know one of my frustrations when trying to learn to program the NES was how many different documents from different sites I had to dig up just to acomplish something simple. We really could use a central repository of info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:35 am 

I may be a little bit biased since I moved the wiki on nesdev but I think that I would prefer the nesdev wiki content be better organized and see more tutorial added by the regulars here then re-starting in another one. Because by creating this new wiki it does exactly like you said: spread information in many places.

Of course, since you want to cover more than one system then it's a little bit different target audience than the nesdev wiki. It there could be a way to contribute to each other that would be nice too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:36 am 

Mmh.
Gamedev wiki is supposed to cover many systems, so I guess the goal is to cover the basis of each system in a "rectangular" way, covering specs and basics of all systems. It would say how basic graphic&sound works, and what is the architecture of each console, but I guess it's goal isn't to give details for mappers, cycle-timed stuff or anything like that. Or am I wrong ?

PS : Thread split time ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:52 pm 

Wookie wrote:
crade wrote:
Let me know if you guys have any trouble with it when you use it.

teaguecl:
copynesl doesn't have write support complete yet. I just added the ability to write wram a few days ago, ram cart support should be coming soon.

Crade,

I noticed you haven't pushed your latest patch up to the bitbucket. It's pretty simple, just do the following:

hg push http://www.bitbucket.org/wookie/libcopynes

I made you a writer on that repo, you just have to give it your usual u/p for bitbucket.

I still have your patchfile, so if you're too busy to push your changes, I can do it for you.

--Wookie

Hey thanks Wookie, yeah, I just haven't gotten around to it. I'll push the patch up tonight.