It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Search Suggestions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:35 pm 

You know how in Wikipedia you can start typing in a title of the page and it will show you some suggestions? Well why not make it on nesdevWiki?

If the latest MediaWiki version is used, it's possible to enable suggestions by putting this line into LocalSettings.php:
Code:
$wgEnableMWSuggest=true;
So, how about implementing that? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:09 pm 

I will see what is possible. These days I don't have access to the sever so I cannot update the wiki easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:30 am 

Banshaku wrote:
I will see what is possible. These days I don't have access to the sever so I cannot update the wiki easily.

Hmm? Anything I need to fix?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:08 am 

koitsu wrote:

It's nothing related with Parodius, don't worry the SSH server is working fine ;) My company network policy became extremely strict (won't say the details why) so I cannot do any update during lunch time anymore. Actually I cannot do anything during lunch time anymore but that's another story.

The only time I can do is from home and my IP is dynamic so I cannot connect because of the current rules. Either I need to find a way to get access to another static IP so you can put it in your trust list or some other way that I'm not aware of. hmm..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:10 am 
Formerly Fx3

- Well, the search does not return any results like searching for "sprite" or even "OAM evaluation", among other words.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:34 am 

Zepper wrote:
- Well, the search does not return any results like searching for "sprite" or even "OAM evaluation", among other words.

Are you sure? When I search sprite, the wiki tells me that there is no page called "sprite" literally but show me the search results of pages that contain at the least word. Could you try it again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:30 am 

Banshaku wrote:
koitsu wrote:

It's nothing related with Parodius, don't worry the SSH server is working fine ;) My company network policy became extremely strict (won't say the details why) so I cannot do any update during lunch time anymore. Actually I cannot do anything during lunch time anymore but that's another story.

I was worried our firewall rules had blocked off part of Japan (APNIC just got a very large portion of IPv4 space assigned to them recently -- specifically 1.0.0.0/8). Naturally if that happens let me know.

I don't want to step on your employer's toes, so I'll have to recommend that follow their (albeit tough) policies.

Banshaku wrote:
The only time I can do is from home and my IP is dynamic so I cannot connect because of the current rules. Either I need to find a way to get access to another static IP so you can put it in your trust list or some other way that I'm not aware of. hmm..

Is Remote Desktop/MSTSC permitted outbound from your work?

If so, you could simply Remote Desktop to your home machine while at work, and do updates through that. This is how I use my home PC while at work. There are free services out there like DynDNS which allow you to determine what your public (dynamic) IP address is; you'd just Remote Desktop to something like banshaku.dyndns.org and voila.

If not, there's some workarounds, but depending on how close of an eye your employer keeps on their network, they could notice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:02 am 

koitsu wrote:
I was worried our firewall rules had blocked off part of Japan (APNIC just got a very large portion of IPv4 space assigned to them recently -- specifically 1.0.0.0/8). Naturally if that happens let me know.

I don't want to step on your employer's toes, so I'll have to recommend that follow their (albeit tough) policies.

For now there is still some holes and I guess they wouldn't see it but I shouldn't push my luck. Our company was bought by that big communication company in japan (you had experience with them before, that company starting with N) and the rules are becoming stricter every day.. At least it still not as worst as the main office.. It strict to the point that I cannot use my own computer at the office, even if it's not connected to the network.. So a remote destkop would be a big no no since it would be a security risk.

Since last november, no more access to the wiki ssh and no more working during lunch time on my hobby. That kind of suck when that was my only time left during the day to work on it.

You seems to imply that now your firewall rules were relaxed to some IP range in Japan. Maybe I should check if I can connect. Didn't try these days. I will let you know the results.

Edit:

Just tried, no luck. Oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:39 am 

Banshaku wrote:
koitsu wrote:

For now there is still some holes and I guess they wouldn't see it but I shouldn't push my luck. Our company was bought by that big communication company in japan (you had experience with them before, that company starting with N) and the rules are becoming stricter every day.. At least it still not as worst as the main office.. It strict to the point that I cannot use my own computer at the office, even if it's not connected to the network.. So a remote destkop would be a big no no since it would be a security risk.

Since last november, no more access to the wiki ssh and no more working during lunch time on my hobby. That kind of suck when that was my only time left during the day to work on it.

Yep, said big communications corp. bought out the company I was working at, although overall not much changed -- but that's probably because said big communications corp. (at the time and even now AFAIK) has much larger presence in Japan than it does in the US. They bought us for our IP backbone more than anything.

Banshaku wrote:
You seems to imply that now your firewall rules were relaxed to some IP range in Japan. Maybe I should check if I can connect. Didn't try these days. I will let you know the results.

Edit:

Just tried, no luck. Oh well.

Actually, I was stating that they had become more strict. SSH is open to the world by default, but any time we see brute force attempts from anywhere, we start firewalling off network blocks.

What I was saying was that APNIC (Asia) just managed to get their hands on a very large network block from ARIN -- specifically 1.0.0.0/8 -- so I expect to start seeing more brute force SSH attempts from IPs within that block.

If SSH access doesn't work for you at present (from home or work), the easiest way for me to debug it is to talk to me in real-time. I'm available on MSN/Live, AIM, Yahoo, and ICQ (MSN/Live preferred). All my contact methods are in my profile here on the forum -- add me and we can work in real-time to find out what the IP address or network block is which I need to permit/add an exclusion for. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:02 am 

Doh, I understood it backward for the firewall rules ;) As for the big corp,yep, in Japan they do are strict. Soon web access monitoring may become active too..

I will check this weekend if I have a chance to update the wiki. The only thing is that we have 14h difference so I will see if I can get you online when I need to access the server then. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:30 am 

Banshaku wrote:
I will check this weekend if I have a chance to update the wiki. The only thing is that we have 14h difference so I will see if I can get you online when I need to access the server then. Thanks.

During the work week, I'm awake between 2100-1300 PST (that's UTC-0800); I work nights, which (I believe) would be daytime in Japan. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:52 pm 

koitsu wrote:
During the work week, I'm awake between 2100-1300 PST (that's UTC-0800); I work nights, which (I believe) would be daytime in Japan. :-)

Ok then. I just added you to my MSN contact list. I don't know if you work on friday night but if not, I will do it another time.

The wiki requires the data to be backed up before since there is no guaranty that it will update nicely and not destroy the DB/files at the same time. I need to test a little bit.