It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Should we add a snes section to the wiki?
Poll ended at Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:47 am
Yes, why not? 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
Nah, don't see the point 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
While you're at it, add a gb/gbc section would ya? 33%  33%  [ 6 ]
Make another wiki for SNES 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 18
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:42 am 

Bregalad wrote:
What about this and this ?

Wikis that require registration with a forum account, like dev-scene.com, have been troublesome for me in the past. Wiki editors who don't post to the forum may lose editing privileges when the forum admins don't check a user's wiki contributions and think any account that hasn't posted to the forum deserves to be deleted for inactivity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:02 pm 

blargg wrote:
miau wrote:
Might be a little confusing, though, if you're using the same domain. If you plan to register another domain it might be best to choose a universal enough name that does not exclude other consoles.

Yes, please don't try to have one Wiki cover multiple systems. wiki.nesdev.com, sneswiki.nesdev.com, gbwiki.nesdev.com would be adequate URLs for separate Wiki sites, IMO.

I'd be more than happy to set these up if the overall community/owners decide upon it. Sadly someone already owns snesdev.com, but if folks decide on a unique domain for each of them, I'd be happy to purchase them through my registrar with no expectations from the rest of the community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:08 pm 

tepples wrote:
koitsu wrote:
I won't be held responsible for someone breaking the entire site due to .htaccess errors though, especially since the errors go into our server httpd-error.log which isn't something users have permission to look at.

I've seen cases on multiple shared hosting providers where even a blank .htaccess in a folder would cause all requests from that folder to return 500 Internal Server Error. Is that related?

There's two conditions where I think that might happen:

1) A server administrator setting up httpd.conf in such a way that .htaccess files found anywhere other than certain <Directory> sections would result in Apache returning HTTP 500. This would be a "side effect" of the configuration the admin set up; Apache's actual error (in the error log) in this case would be something like "htaccess not permitted here".

2) I remember long ago reading some reports of issues with .htaccess "stuff" on Apache for Win32, but sadly I don't remember what that "stuff" was. Windows (any release) really isn't a "server product" in my opinion. It's just years of hackery...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:48 pm 

I've a small comment on this issue, but it might be a major overkill. If we were to discuss about more than NES development, wouldn't it make more sense to have a domain name that doesn't explicitly describe "NES development"? Maybe something like "Classics Development" (although people may confuse it with the content-less Classic Game Dev)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:01 am 

I like this idea the best:

wiki.nesdev.com/nes
wiki.nesdev.com/snes
wiki.nesdev.com/gb

1) It's easy.
2) It's obvious what goes where.
3) One user account works for all of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:39 am 

MetalSlime wrote:
3) One user account works for all of them.

Point #3 would not be valid in that case too since those 3 links refer to 3 different database. Yep, it's 1 folder, 1 wiki app, 1 db! I need to find a way to share users account, if that' even possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:35 am 

Banshaku wrote:
I need to find a way to share users account, if that' even possible.

It's possible; Wikimedia and Wikia both use unified login. There are two ways to do this: $wgSharedDB and CentralAuth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:38 am 

Well I have a french Wikipedia account, but whenever I move to English Wikipedia I get logged out, and my account don't work any longer. I always found that stupid, but anyways I can't do major modifications on English Wikipedia because I don't master this language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:13 am 

Bregalad wrote:
Well I have a french Wikipedia account, but whenever I move to English Wikipedia I get logged out, and my account don't work any longer.

Perhaps you need to press the button to merge your account, as explained on that page.