It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:09 pm 

The rules for the wiki have changed. If you want to edit content, you must first be promoted to the "trusted" group. Once trusted, you can edit any content and upload pictures.

Current users (spammers excluded) have already been promoted to trusted.

You can now create a account but it gives you no rights at all, not even posting in your talk page (you could still post spam there, I'm that strict). Once your account is created, you must ask on this forum to be promoted.
It may be strict but now the bright side is: no more annoying capcha.

Edit:

I found the user in the list, my mistake. Etabeta is now promoted to trusted user.

If you find any issue with the wiki because of the new rights, please let us know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:36 am 

If the spammers are human, what makes you think they won't ask to be promoted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:21 am 

They'll have to join this board, post some messages that show they are doing NES development and are at least somewhat competent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:04 pm 

@Tepples:

Like Blargg said, they will have to go to the trouble of coming here and create an account and then ask to be promoted to be able to write spam that we will remove right away. I guess that's quite a waste of time from a spammer point of view.

The only thing I should keep the re-capatcha thought is for account creation... The "Mark2web" that was just created just feel like a bot created one. Maybe the captcha is useful at the least for this case.

I will re-activate it for account creation next week since I cannot have access to the server this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:22 pm 
Formerly Fx3

Quote:
Current users (spammers excluded) have already been promoted to trusted.

- Looks like I'm out of trusted group. :( (User: Zepper).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:30 pm 

Sorry, I must have missed you when I did the complete list by hand. You're now part of the trusted group.

If I forgot any other users, just let me know in that thread.

Edit:

I found why. The list was showing me the first 50 users and there was more than 50. doh. I need to add more to the list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:15 pm 

Small update, all users rights should be fine. re-capatcha was installed back for user creation only and should not pop-up for trusted user. If for some reason it does, or something is acting strange on the wiki, please let us know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:56 am 

We have seen in this post that that this policy leads to people using the nesdevWiki forum on this BBS as the talk page for all articles. Should use of the nesdevWiki forum as the counterpart to Wikipedia's {{edit protected}} template be encouraged or discouraged?

Should we set out a step-by-step procedure for applying for 'trusted' status? We'd have to set out guidelines for two things:
  1. Procedure to verify that a BBS user should in fact be trusted on the wiki, for which I'd recommend counting on-topic posts in the user's posting history on the BBS.
  2. Procedure to verify that a recently created wiki user account is the same person as a BBS user and not a spammer who created wiki accounts with the same name as all high-post-count BBS users.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:22 am 

No need for a formal rule IMO, unless you meant to allow automation. If someone has been active here for a few weeks and would like wiki access, create his account. If that doesn't work, we can work something else out, like having him PM for the password to his new account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:36 am 

blargg wrote:
If someone has been active here for a few weeks and would like wiki access, create his account.

Which still needs a way for a user to indicate that the user "would like wiki access".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:07 am 
Formerly ~J-@D!~

I would like wiki access. Isn't it a way? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:06 am 

Whoops, I edited out the part about "he PMs you for an account". OK, and when you create an account, the wiki "helpfully" posts that so spammers can see. Thus the "PM him his password" is necessary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:22 pm 

You can create the account on the wiki: the only new rule is you cannot create/update content until you are trusted.

We should just make clear the procedure to get trusted:

- update the wiki main page to explain to whom you should send the PM for being trusted
- put a sticky in the wiki thread about how to create an account

There was a message on the top page in the new section but it seems nobody read it. It said to post on the nesdev bbs regarding how to be trusted. Every time there was a new user, I was posting them PM personally to confirm it was really them that wanted to create that account. I don't mind to do that since spam was removed completely. And with the rate of new account, this is not an issue.

Just make the procedure clearer, this is the only thing required. Don't add some kind of automation thingy, that's going overboard.

~J-@D!~ wrote:
I would like wiki access. Isn't it a way? :P

- Create your account on the wiki
- send a PM to Tepples, Memblers or me about the account
- once PM received, your account will be put in the trusted group