Audio examples on the wiki

Discussion about the site's wikis, including bugs/issues encountered.

Moderator: Moderators

tepples

Audio examples on the wiki

Post by tepples »

Oliveira tried to upload recordings of expansion sound from authentic hardware, but:

".ogg" is an unwanted file type. Preferred file types are png, gif, jpg, jpeg, svg.

Is there any objection to allowing .ogg uploads from trusted users?
cpow
NESICIDE developer

Re: Audio examples on the wiki

Post by cpow »

tepples wrote:Oliveira tried to upload recordings of expansion sound from authentic hardware, but:

".ogg" is an unwanted file type. Preferred file types are png, gif, jpg, jpeg, svg.

Is there any objection to allowing .ogg uploads from trusted users?
Considering it'd be hard to represent audio in any of those file formats...hopefully nobody objects! :D

That, or we'll have to have a lengthy discussion about how to create a tool to "play" a PNG. :lol:
tepples

Post by tepples »

So with the second, and no objection, I added this to LocalSettings.php:

Code: Select all

# 2012-05-26: Oliveira wants to upload recordings of Famicom          
# expansion sound chips
$wgFileExtensions[] = 'ogg';
One might think it too late to make this change with Parodius shutting down in two and a half months, but the policies set down here (and archived in my final scrape of the BBS) will inform the creation of policies on the new wiki.
Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander »

Can you also add "$wgUseTeX = true;" in LocalSettings.php? The current display on that page currently sucks and would appear much nicer with LaTeX enabled, not to mention it is already written in this format.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Having .ogg media would be good. Also, if you want, feel free to take excerpts of my recordings in this thread: http://nesdev.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=8639

Or I may get around to it later. It'd be cool to have maybe a 10 second excerpt for each expansion audio page.

~J-@D!~ I agree that LaTeX would be very useful on this wiki. Though, that particular forumla could be represented a lot more sensibly than in the "wishful TeX" form it is now. Actually, I think the whole APU section needs an overhaul, which I've been planning to do later. (Maybe I'll work on it this afternoon.)
tepples

Post by tepples »

~J-@D!~ wrote:Can you also add "$wgUseTeX = true;" in LocalSettings.php?
Turning on TeX would require installing additional software on the server, not just changing a variable in LocalSettings.php. I'd ask koitsu to do so, but the shutdown...
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Re: adding latex support: I'm opting to decline. The dependency list is very large for this software, believe it or not. This may be something that can be enabled/added when the site has been moved off to another provider.