Moderator: Moderators

Airwe

Castlevania III MMC3 hack

Post by Airwe »

Castlevania III mmc5 to mmc3 work
because of chr bank selecting ,
I have to use a large (256k+256k+mmc3)
it is not finished.
Last edited by Airwe on Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dwedit

Re: Castlevania III MMC3 hack

Post by Dwedit »

I'm pretty sure this site doesn't allow hosting copyrighted ROM files. Maybe post an XDelta or BPS patch instead.

I can see a lot of bugs regarding which mirroring mode is used. Since MMC5 lets you pick mirroring modes easily, and so does the MMC3, this seems like it won't be that much of a problem.
Attachments
patches.zip
(2.59 KiB) Downloaded 1119 times
Last edited by Dwedit on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
thefox

Post by thefox »

Dwedit wrote:I'm pretty sure this site doesn't allow hosting copyrighted ROM files. Maybe post an XDelta or BPS patch instead.
Do we even have policies regarding that since moving away from the Parodius Network?

(BTW: The NESDev front page still references the old Parodius policies.)
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
tepples

Post by tepples »

Don't do anything that could cause Nintendo or a major seller of VC games to get this whole site taken down.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Apparently you can't even get in gameplay with this hack.

I think it should be hard to go with MMC5 -> MMC3, especially because of PRG bankswitching which is 8k, 8k, 16k on MMC3, but 16k, 8k, 8k on VRC6 and the MMC5 mode that is used by CV3.

If this would have been possible, Konami would have done it really. It would have saved them much costs.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Two things might help:
  • Does CV3 normally put anything in $6000-$7FFF? If not, something that'd normally be in one of the switchable banks could be relocated to PRG RAM there.
  • Does CV3 use the DMC? If so, the music can be rewritten not to use it, freeing up $C000-$DFFF.
Airwe

Post by Airwe »

Dwedit wrote:I'm pretty sure this site doesn't allow hosting copyrighted ROM files. Maybe post an XDelta or BPS patch instead.

I can see a lot of bugs regarding which mirroring mode is used. Since MMC5 lets you pick mirroring modes easily, and so does the MMC3, this seems like it won't be that much of a problem.

Thanks .
Airwe

Post by Airwe »

tepples wrote:Two things might help:
  • Does CV3 normally put anything in $6000-$7FFF? If not, something that'd normally be in one of the switchable banks could be relocated to PRG RAM there.
  • Does CV3 use the DMC? If so, the music can be rewritten not to use it, freeing up $C000-$DFFF.
CV3 didn't use $6000-$7FFF,and $C000-$DFFF selected when Dracula is lauging.
Airwe

Post by Airwe »

tepples wrote:Don't do anything that could cause Nintendo or a major seller of VC games to get this whole site taken down.
Sorry...
aarkay_14

Post by aarkay_14 »

So, is this possible?, do we have a CV3 in MMC3 mapper, that would become really nice for a multicart..
johannesmutlu

Post by johannesmutlu »

aarkay_14 wrote:So, is this possible?, do we have a CV3 in MMC3 mapper, that would become really nice for a multicart..
Yeah i was alway's wondering how Castlevania 3 would run on a mmc3 chip ,as i just don’t think that this game will really take much benefit from the mmc5 chip ,other then using 16K bankswitching and/or possibly in a different way as well,but what if we can reverse engineer this game somewhat to make it fully compatible with the mmc3 chip with possibly some compremises ,that would be really interesting.

The main reason why we want to see this game running on a mmc3 chip is because to make it compatible with the powerpak,multi rom carts ,famiclones and emulators whose don't support the mmc5 chip:
Last edited by johannesmutlu on Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pfox

Post by pfox »

Just registered to post in this topic.

Is there any update on this? I've tried it on emulator, mostly works except for the intro and some minor glitches. I've never played past the first lvl so I don't know if there any other glitches, but I would really love to gave a famiclone compatible version on a cart.

Any news?
Airwe

Post by Airwe »

pfox wrote:Just registered to post in this topic.

Is there any update on this? I've tried it on emulator, mostly works except for the intro and some minor glitches. I've never played past the first lvl so I don't know if there any other glitches, but I would really love to gave a famiclone compatible version on a cart.

Any news?

I'm sorry to be late,after that,i did more.now it is completely playable.vertical stage is complete success,no buggy tile in state bar.
But some error.the opening screen is wrong,flood IRQ also lag,and it small probability cpu jam.for use dpcm IRQ,some stage no attack se and bgm lost dpcm drum.saya and alucard in speak screen was buggy,last battle is random laser.i will continue to do.
My English is very poor, please forgive me:P
I also had made a CV1 hack that use MMC3+128PRG+128CHR.now I made a Castle 3-in-1 mitulcart by mapper 52,so funny.
Attachments
Castle 3-in-1_024.png
Castle 3-in-1_024.png (8.35 KiB) Viewed 25108 times
Castle 3-in-1_022.png
Castle 3-in-1_022.png (6.9 KiB) Viewed 25108 times
Castle 3-in-1_021.png
Castle 3-in-1_021.png (8.77 KiB) Viewed 25108 times
Castle 3-in-1_020.png
Castle 3-in-1_020.png (9 KiB) Viewed 25108 times
Castle 3-in-1_014.png
Castle 3-in-1_014.png (1.49 KiB) Viewed 25108 times
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

That's great!
Any patch available?
pfox

Post by pfox »

There were some glitches with stairs too, character would simply fall down and die when passing near the the stairs. If you could provide the patch I'd continue further testing.

Keep up the great work!