ObjC compiler for 6502, GBA Arm and others - WIP

NES development discussion in English, Español, Français, Português, русский язык, or any language.

Moderator: Moderators

erana

ObjC compiler for 6502, GBA Arm and others - WIP

Post by erana »

Hi,
I am working on a ObjC compiler for 6502 and arm systems.
The project is hosted (in svn) here : http://soft.vub.ac.be/svn-gen/objc-underground/

The directory of the compiler is libobjcgbarm.

Enjoy, more work later on.
Bregalad

Re: ObjC compiler for 6502, GBA Arm and others - WIP

Post by Bregalad »

Compiler ? Will it actually compile HLL code into 6502 asm, for real ? Will it be any more efficient than CC65 ?
Shiru

Post by Shiru »

An extra question, will it support 65816? CC65 works quite well for 6502, compared to available free 65816 compilers, would be cool to have another option.
erana

Post by erana »

Bregalad wrote:Compiler ? Will it actually compile HLL code into 6502 asm, for real ? Will it be any more efficient than CC65 ?
The classes available in the beginning would be NSString, NSMutableArray and NSObject. The rest can be extended in the run time by shared objects.

It still needs a lot of work, but there's optimization planned, yes.

I plan to do 6502 for a start then move on to GBA and ARM. There will be a library system such as SmallTalk with widgets, you can have a look for it in libcarm for libc features, and other libs for graphics. I'm not sure however if this will be a feature for 6502.
erana

Post by erana »

Shiru wrote:An extra question, will it support 65816? CC65 works quite well for 6502, compared to available free 65816 compilers, would be cool to have another option.
IIRC this is the super famicom/snes/super nintendo. I will have to look into that and might put it on my list.
erana

Post by erana »

The project is now hosted here :
http://code.google.com/p/libobjcgbarm/

There's a small libc for arm and a 6502 assembler target now. It needs a classlocator for runtime objC types still. You can compile it on MacOS X as it needs #import <Cocoa/Cocoa.h>.

A GNUStep objC port will follow.

There's some small ARM7 asm target. It needs optimization for all 32 registers also. Then the number system of return types must also be altered.

Enjoy,
B
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

Does it have a capability to omit the Objective-C runtime if you aren't using those features, so that only C runtime libraries are used?
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)