FCEUX on Mac?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

Mjbudd77

Re: FCEUX on Mac?

Post by Mjbudd77 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:24 pm

I know this post is kinda old. But wanted to let everyone know that the beta version of fceux's Qt/SDL port will run natively in both linux and mac. This new version does contain most of the debug tools that previously only existed on the windows port.

dienben2020

Post by dienben2020 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:57 am

Hello,
Mjbudd77 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:24 pm
I know this post is kinda old. But wanted to let everyone know that the beta version of fceux's Qt/SDL port will run natively in both linux and mac. This new version does contain most of the debug tools that previously only existed on the windows port.
Thanks! To get it, we 'just' need to git the code and compile locally?

For info, on Mac, I have:
  • brew install qt5
  • brew install sdl2
  • brew install minizip
I've used the current in-development installer: http://fceux.com/web/download.html

Ben

Mjbudd77

Post by Mjbudd77 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:19 am

If you are using the dmg file from the autobuild, you just need to open the dmg and do a standard drag and drop install into the applications folder. No compiling necessary. I have found that when instaling the dmg file i also had to tell the OS that the new application is a trusted one since it does not recognize it. You will see when you try to run it.i see you have already gotten the dependencies installed from brew which is good. If you did want to build from source, just follow what is done in the pipelines/macos_build.sh script inside the git project.

Mjbudd77

Post by Mjbudd77 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:10 am

I'm interested to hear how this worked out for you. I'm the main developer of this new fceux Qt/SDL version and would like to get as much feedback as possible.

dienben2020

Post by dienben2020 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:05 am

Hi Mjbudd77 ,

First, thank you very much for your involvement for the project.

My current feedbacks, but I've not used a lot FCEUX. I'm beginner, and I program in C...

FCEUX works well for me on Mac. I'm able to see the name table, etc... I'm trying to understand how to use the debugger... I would like to be able to se the code from an assembler point of view, but I don't know of to do it.

Something that I miss is the launch of a ROM from a command line. I'm not able to do it...

Regards,

Ben

Mjbudd77

Post by Mjbudd77 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:19 pm

No problem :) You can still run the application from the command line. You just have to use the full path to the executable or alter your shell PATH environment variable so that it can find it.

Using the DMG installation, I was able to run the executable with a game on the command line like this:

Code: Select all

/Applications/fceux.app/Contents/MacOS/fceux   ~/Downloads/Super\ Mario\ Bros\ 3\ \(E\).nes
As far as using the debugger, I'm not an expert on that. But I usually start by just hitting the STEP INTO button which will force an immediate break in execution. From there, I start setting breakpoints. I would read the online FCEUX debug documentation and maybe ask around for some tips. If you notice anything in the application that doesn't seem right, please do not hesitate to let me know. I'm trying to get this new software released in the near future and want to be sure that I work all the bugs out of it.

dienben2020

Post by dienben2020 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:54 am

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, I'm launching now FCEUX at the end of my compile script :D

I will dive into the debugger documentation too.

Regards,

Ben