It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Nes source codes
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:18 am 
All users can put here link to nes source codes.
it will be interesting find the more the most small nes asm program.. or make an ADC and show it on dysplay, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:54 am 

Isn't this the sort of thing the admin takes care of? No offense, but if we wanted the source code of a NES rom we can easily do it ourselves with a dissasembler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:00 am 
I think he meant sources of things we made, not commercial stuff. Like code examples and such.

Post subject: A question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:06 am 
put links of not original nes source codes..

or nintendo says that is illegal artistic nes source codes tha dont be from nintendo..

it would be stupid... or no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:08 am 
tokumaru (not logged) wrote:
I think he meant sources of things we made, not commercial stuff. Like code examples and such.

Yes!! tokumaru sources that you and another people made. not copyrighted sources.. sorry for no explain best it.. english is not my native language

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:19 am 

Mr. "EL_CHINO_LORD_NES", I have a request for you. Could you, please, pick up a shorter and simpler pseudonyme and do not write it all in caps, please ? It isn't any real offense, but having long pseudos with all letters in caps is pretty anoying because it makes the post arrays forced to be larger, and this makes all your posts anoying regardless of the content.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:57 am 

I'd have to agree with Bregalad, it is a little annoying the way your name takes so much space and disturbs stuff around it. If you'd consider changing it a bit, we'd be grateful.

About the sources you asked... well... your request is a little too generic. Nobody codes an ADC program that shows results on the screen. And people don't usually have small pieces of simplistic code. Most people here COULD come up with a simple program in a few minutes and post it here, but what's the point? Nobody will code anything without a point. If you have a specific request on how something can be done on the NES, ask directly and we'll help you with whatever you need, but we can't just start coding random stuff for nothing, you know?

On the main nesdev page there are a lot of programs and demos from many people and many of them have the sources included. Maybe you should take a look at that.

Post subject: ok
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:13 am 
ok.. i am new here, i understand el CHILENO_LORD_NES is large

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:19 am 

It's not a rule or anything, it was just an observation. "lord_chile" does look much cleaner, don't you think?

So, what kind of demo program do you want to see? What is confusing you so much you need an example?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:21 am 
when i learn a programming language i study very simplistic codes.. i am new in nes asm... how is possible understanding large codes????.. for you is very simplistic make and ADC and show it with fonts by screen but for me it is impossible now... i have reading lots of nes documents but for me things like it... adc and show on screen are very impressive to study and learn practicing it... because i know hot to make logic adc.. but show result by screen... is difficult for me in order to my logic mind understand fully relationships between nes tables.. and colors.. (and i have read yoshi doc etc)... it will be very apreciated if you can post a code that show result of one adc on screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:34 am 

I agree that learn very basics is most probably the hardest part. However, you'll have to do it only one time in your life, so it is worth it. BTW, thanks to have changed your pseudo, it is much better like this.
There is kind of "Hello World" programms arround, but you can not be satisfacted enough with them. The best solution is probably to try to code random stuff and see results, and learn by yourself. Yes, you have to first learn how pattern tables and nametatles works. However, it isn't very complicated. Just edit tiles of your pattern table with tile layer or anyother tile editor, and name tables aren't anything but large index of tiles for each row and each column of the NES screen.
Nesticle helps a lot if you're a begginer. I know it is a very bad emulator in therm of accuracy, but it's tile wiever, palette viewer, etc cannot be rivalised by anyother emulator. FCE Ultra's debbuger may help a lot, because you can watch each step of your code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:46 am 

I undestand what you're saying... when I satrted programming (not for NES, in general I mean) I learned by changing other people's codes and watching the results.

The problem with writing stuff on the NES is that it is not possible to demonstrate it only with code. The NES has no font built-in, like most computers do. So, the first thing you have to do, is draw your own font to a CHR file, or copy one from a game. I'd suggest you use a tile editor like Tile Layer for that task.

After you have your font (or numbers, or whatever you want to show on screen), then you write the code that will do the math and use the characters you drew for the output of the result.

Do you already know how to use any assembler? Maybe NESASM, as all beginners seem to use it... if you know the basics of using the assembler, I'll gladly help you with some simple code. However, if you do not know how to use an assembler, I can not get you started on this. I don't know how to use NESASM or any other popular assembler. My methods are too weird to teach a beginner and will just confuse your head.

When you can handle the assembler, making a header for your ROM, and these kind of tasks that have nothing to do with programming and logic, I can help you with programming and logic. Maybe someone can guide you through the other stuff.

Post subject: a feature of NESASM
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:03 pm 
if you wanna make a nes header is so simply like writing something like

.inesprg1 etc (i understand it) prg and chr

and any things more...
i understand assembler 6502... sta lda, etc... ok. thank you for all.. when i make any stuff i will come to ask.. i know that i will have many asks when i am doing my code.. My first project is make ADC and show it by screen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:22 pm 

If you know that, great. Can you make a CHR file with the letters and numbers and place it at the end of the ROM? If you can do that the code to do what you want can be simple. Except for the fact that you'll have to convert the numbers to base 10, wich is not such a trivial task. If you feel like leaving the result in hexadecimal, then it's easy.

I'd say the steps for what you want to do are:
1. disable rendering;
2. wait 2 vblanks;
4. do the addition;
5. convert the result to decimal; <- this is optional!
6. write the code of each digit of the result to one of the name tables;
7. write something to a palette so you can see anything;
8. wait for vblank;
9. set the scroll to (0, 0) and enable rendering for the name table you wrote the result to;

NOTE: it will probably run on a emulator if you do it like this, but on a real NES you don't know what's stored in RAM, and it's a good idea to clear the name tables and the attribute tables before writing your result.

That's about it. Try to code something, and if you have trouble, just ask for help.

One more thing: I bet this topic can be useful for you: http://www.nesdev.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=969
It's from someone who just started and had success with simple sprite and background handling.

Post subject: a question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:35 pm 
2. wait 2 vblanks;

i know that you make "wait vblanks" when you wanna change frames.. but if it is only a frame.. what is the reason to wait vblanks?? newbie question but i am on learning...