CONTRA/GRYZOR Level Editor

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

switchstance

CONTRA/GRYZOR Level Editor

Post by switchstance »

Other of my projects it's try to make a level editor for the game Gryzor-Contra.
But for now I don't have much information about it, so , I'm trying to collect a lot of info about that CART. If someone can help-me , or tell me where I can find some useful docs, I say thanks. :)
BooNES development Chief!! O_O
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Talk to zooka (don't remember his forum username) - as I recall, he was writing just such an editor.

Also, it's not Gryzor - the USA NES version is "Contra", the European NES version is "Probotector", and the Famicom version is 「魂斗羅」 == 「コントラ」 == "KONTORA" == "Contra".
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I have a couple questions about the name, but so as not to derail the topic, I'll post them elsewhere.

Tip #1: Contra uses a lot of run-length encoding. If you've ever written a PCX viewer, you will likely be able to understand Contra.
CaH4e3

Post by CaH4e3 »

Tip #2. (:)) Most of Konami games uses various modifications the same RLE algorythm at least for nametable packing (Lagrange Point use it for packing CHR graphics too)... If you've ever hacked any of Konami's games, you'll be able to understand Contra too. ;)
switchstance

Post by switchstance »

Thanks a lot for the useful info :)
I never "play" with a Konami Game before, so Contra is my first really-hacking-reverse-project" , I create a Bomberman level editor (you can put or extract the blocks and nothing else :( , but , thanks anyway.
In other point (sorry my english . I¡m from Argentina) some docs or perhaps some tips (like links) can be useful too :)
I find a editor-remake_game about Contra called Basic_contra, maybe Zooka is the creator? I don't know this.
For now I can see and extract the graphics from the ROM , but , some of the graphics (Like the big boss-level 8) seems to be lost, 'cause I can't find him. (Like other graphics).
Seems to be lost in my image or something like that :/
lord_Chile

hi

Post by lord_Chile »

hehe switchstance, how are you?, just im from chile. Do you have good translated documents of nesdev to spanish language??.. Memblers send to me any of your documents because i wanna creating a webpage of nesdev in spanish language for my country, but any documents are broken.. can contact me to pandov2003@yahoo.es??, thanks..
Good day to nesdev people. Lord..
Author of nothing =P
UTFSM Sansano programmer.. lord_Chile
Saludos a la Sede JMC de la UTFSM... Viña del Mar, CHILE
lord_Chile

Re: hi

Post by lord_Chile »

oops, recently i was using zone alarm pro and it noticed a keylogger in my pc:

Keylogger Hook Module C:\WINDOWS\system32\KEYBHOOK.DLL

Keylogger Hook Module
Keystroke Logger

This program records everything you type on your computer (your keystrokes). It can capture passwords, user names, personal or confidential information you type, and take screen shots to capture what's on your screen, such as your messenger conversations. The information is stored in log files which may be stored on your computer, or sent to an external computer.

How is it installed?
This program is installed directly on your computer by someone with administrative access.

and just i was surfing and writing my user and password on nesdev and another sities..

i hate spyware, it's really bad.. then when i am going to change my password when i exit of my work. yeah, im happy that it's pc of my work and it's not my home pc.
Good day to nesdev people. Lord..
Author of nothing =P
UTFSM Sansano programmer.. lord_Chile
Saludos a la Sede JMC de la UTFSM... Viña del Mar, CHILE
Celius

Post by Celius »

lord_chile:

lord_chile, I have a suggestion. Instead of posting multiple times, you should edit your posts. Multiple posts doesn't bother me, but it does bother other people, like moderators and administrators. What I don't like about editing posts is that the forum won't show up as updated when you edit your posts. So here's an example of what to do:

post #1:

blahblahblahblahblah.......

post #2:

asdwoeiru woeird sdf

Combine the two into one. Copy/Paste the stuff from post #1 and post #2 into 1 post. So it will look like:

final post:

blahblahblahblahblah.......

asdwoeiru woeird sdf

But delete the other two before combining them into one post. Like, copy/paste it into notepad, and delete your posts, then post 1 post with both texts in it. Okay?

switchstance:

You know what you should do? If you're better at 6502 assembly, I suggest making a NES ROM level editor. Like, a NES ROM that is an editor. How can this be done? By making the editor store it's level info in SRAM, then you can copy/paste the data from the .SAV file into a new binary file, and save it as like Level1.dat or something. But if you're better at other PC assembly languages, then you should just stick with that :).
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Celius wrote:lord_chile, I have a suggestion. Instead of posting multiple times, you should edit your posts. Multiple posts doesn't bother me, but it does bother other people, like moderators and administrators. What I don't like about editing posts is that the forum won't show up as updated when you edit your posts.
"Pot, Kettle, Black"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
Celius

Post by Celius »

Quietust wrote:
Celius wrote:lord_chile, I have a suggestion. Instead of posting multiple times, you should edit your posts. Multiple posts doesn't bother me, but it does bother other people, like moderators and administrators. What I don't like about editing posts is that the forum won't show up as updated when you edit your posts.
"Pot, Kettle, Black"

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
You know Quietust, it is from that very thread I have learned that people do not like it when you post multiple times, and it is from that very forum I have learned to edit my posts correctly. So I now tell everyone to edit their posts, and not double/triple post. So call me a hypocryte all you want, but I don't do that anymore.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

I have to admit that not getting anwers when you exepted to is very anoying. So it is hard staying away replying youreself saying, "heh, why didn't anyone answer to this ?".
In some case, you'll post a question that interested less people than excepted, or ask it in a way that is confusing, so people will doubt their possible help on the thing is usefull.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
Celius

Post by Celius »

Yeah, I hate not getting replies to my posts, it's really annoying. But I've learned to copy/paste the data from my old post into a new post, and edit the new post, rather than the old one, because no one will know when you've edited it, because the forum doesn't show up as updated when you edit a post. So just repost and edit the new post, and it will show up. But delete the old post, of course.
switchstance

Post by switchstance »

Hey Lord Chile!
I know a few persons from chile,all musicians. Yeah, I¡m translating a lot of docs recently, I got tons of it, so I wanna send to you, but my "dummy" yahoo! e-mail takes a long long time verifing the VIRUS stuff, so, if you want ADD-me to MSN for a direct download (benix_sonico@hotmail.com) , or anyone who wants this docs or proggies in spanish. (I translate some soft dedicated to NES) and some NES translations to spanish.
In other stuff, I read some stuff in this post , and nothing about my trouble with my *.NES image file.¿Where is the bosses???
In other stuff (responding to Celius) yeah I know about you're writting, that's ok , but some graphics (in my image file) can be missing or broken, I download several times from different servers and I don't know what's going on, so this is my first step to jump. Thanks for the tip! :)
In other stuff, it's a better idea make the EDITOR into a NES file, but that's a thing that I never do , in my mind I took the cart with a program written in C by me, you can manipulate the graphics (only change the places) and save in the file. IT's more easy (for my skills) make a stuff like that, but make the complete EDITOR in a NESrom can be more gratificant.
Sorry my crappy english.
Thanks to all.
Thanks again!.
Switchstance.