It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:31 am 

Jagasian wrote:
Why is it that new 2600 games use new plastic shells? Is there that much more money in the 2600 scene than in the NES scene?

Quite possibly. The fanbase of that scene has many more years behind it than the NES, so its developers and hobbyists are (likely) on average that much older than those here. As age tends to beget experience, resources and money, the result translates into higher quality hobby crafts and such.

So expect the best of the best when the NES hits the 30 year mark! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:14 am 
Site Admin

Also remember that Atari carts are tiny compared to NES ones, the cart shell and the board. And they only need one memory chip (and a logic chip). Compared to NES NROM carts that need 2 memories and some illogic (lockout :) ).

Which doesn't make the prototyping cheaper, but does make it easier to make a bunch of them at once. NES ones will just cost a little more (which is a little multiplied by some crazy quantity for the builder, it becomes a lot).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:36 am 

Wasn't the unauthorized cart pretty rampant with the 2600 anyway? I would think that there were already companies churning out carts back then that either are happy to still be selling them or happy to get rid of their leftovers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:27 am 

I would also like to know how these 2600 cart cases were produced. I suppose Ronen at videogame wiz should know, since they're selling them.

Otherwise, I agree with Kevin. Making grand plans about mass-production of new NES carts is just silly when we have yet to see a homebrewn NES game of good enough quality that more than 100 carts could be sold. And the few nostalgics that won't settle for playing a new homebrewn game in an emulator probably won't mind spending $50 or more on it anyway.

I too would really like to see the lockout chip get 0wn3d, but no one in their right mind should believe that the lockout chip is what's keeping people from making NES games today. The real reason is that there aren't many people in this world that will devote the time needed to make a big NES game just for the fun of it. Most big homebrewn-game projects get terminated before they reach halfway. The ones that do get finished are smaller games, where the author had more realistic goals for his hobby project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:34 am 

Bananmos wrote:
The ones that do get finished are smaller games, where the author had more realistic goals for his hobby project.

And there's no reason that one of these games shouldn't be preordered and replicated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:51 pm 

Bananmos wrote:
Most big homebrewn-game projects get terminated before they reach halfway. The ones that do get finished are smaller games, where the author had more realistic goals for his hobby project.

This is a lot pessimist, but kind of true. I really hope it won't stand any longer.