It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:21 pm 

Hey guys,

I just need some general information about how the NES communicates with the standard controllers.

Are the gamepads polled in most games (i.e. within the gameloop) or do they generate an interrupt to the CPU (like the V-blanking period)?

I have been looking at various spec sheets, and they explain that the data from the gamepads can be read from by strobing addresses $4016 and $4017. It would seem that doing this, they could be read from at any time, suggesting that they are polled. However, this would make periodic communication between the gamepads and the CPU very unlikely.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:39 pm 

Only polled. The joypad can't generate any interrupts at all.
Usually, the joypad's full state is read once per frame.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:48 pm 

NES gamepads are polled. It's essentially bit-banged SPI through a couple buffers on the mainboard.

The only connection between interrupts and NES gamepads is that some games may use an interrupt elsewhere in the system to trigger polling. This is almost always NMI, which the PPU asserts every vertical blank (60.1 or 50 times a second depending on region). But it can also be the APU timer IRQ (a 60 Hz time base possibly intended for arcade use without a PPU), or even the DMC IRQ (an abuse of the sampled sound playback hardware as a crude programmable interval timer for sub-frame events).

Super NES gamepads can be polled the same way, but they're usually read with the auto-reader hardware on the S-CPU die. Auto-reading happens in the background every vertical blank and takes a couple scanlines of time (one scanline is roughly 64 microseconds) to read all 16 bits (12 buttons and one identification nibble) from both controllers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:14 am 

While joypad polling could be driven by any interrupt source, in practice it is done by either the game's NMI handler, or by the regular frame-by-frame execution of the game logic. Some games don't even poll the joypad if the player has no control during a cutscene or something, or during the wait for a copyright screen to go away.
If the game's NMI handler does the joypad polling, there is the possibility of race conditions. For race conditions to happen, the code must be running slower than one frame (you'd see slowdown), and the game code must look at the stored joypad state both early and late in the game logic code.

Also, the DMC channel can corrupt joypad input, so games which use it must read the joystick twice and see if it matches.

APU frame IRQ is only used by 3 NES games I know of, and that's to drive the music engine of Dragon Quest 1, 2, and Door Door. The US versions of Dragon Quest changed it to use the NMI instead. For almost all other games, APU frame IRQs are an unwanted glitch that can mess with a game. For example, Ironsword and Time Lord mess up/crash if any frame IRQs ever happen. Ironsword relies on dummy reads to disable frame IRQs, and Time Lord relies on the powerup state starting at scanline 0, making those games good test cases for obscure behavior.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:14 am 

NES gamepads were polled.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:05 am 

We've got a sophisticated spambot here!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:57 pm 

Yep, it manages to say something on topic that happens to be true. Impressive. And scary. Probably it's a indian guy paid to spam rather than a bot, or something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:54 pm 
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Am I the sophisticated spambot? My post disappeared!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

After banning the account, I immediately regret the decision. Well maybe not, too much danger of them mass-sending PMs or something. A while back I imagined that spammers might actually learn a bit of NES programming so they can post spam with a legit account. It's kind-of happening!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:33 pm 

NES gamepads are polled and read serially, giving them a lot of flexibility. There are pretty creative ways to mitigate DMC glitches discussed on this forum, but first, take a look at these totally sweet watches!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:11 am 

Because copy-pasting the first sentence from the second most recent post but replacing words with past tense is advanced spamming?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:37 am 

(We're now massively off-topic; normally this subject is something discussed under the moderators board, so apologies to anyone reading the thread wanting to know about the NES controller protocol)

Memblers wrote:
After banning the account, I immediately regret the decision. Well maybe not, too much danger of them mass-sending PMs or something. A while back I imagined that spammers might actually learn a bit of NES programming so they can post spam with a legit account. It's kind-of happening!

The more we talk about the tactics/what we key off of/what we notice, the more they learn. This is why I prefer not to talk about the problem or methodologies or *anything* about it on the forum itself -- to think they don't read it is ignorant. :)

As I established years ago, the problematics are the outfits (companies usually in Pakistan, India, Russia, and the Asias) operated by human beings making accounts (sometimes through tools) and then registering + posting manually, let things sit for a little bit (sometimes days), then unleash a flurry of crap. Humans can (will) eventually figure out the signup questions, so it's kind of a cat vs. mouse game; the spammers get through, the forum changes things, months go by and it happens again, and the cycle continues.

There's no 100% failsafe methodology other than making the forum entirely private, or implementing (this would have to be coded; AFAIK there isn't a phpBB extension for this) something similar like what's on the wiki, re: reading is available to everyone, but signing up + editing isn't available until manually approved. (The problem with manual approval methodologies is that if a bot or automated software begins to spam the hell out of account creation, the person reviewing/approving has to sift through them all; i.e. the same problem happens (in effect) but the persons affected are only those who have to review created accounts for approval. Let's just say that if I woke up one morning to find 700 Emails consisting of account creation approvals/reviews, I'd say "screw this" ;-) ).

An alternate approach: consider asking what the romhacking.net forum folks (mods/admins) do about the problem. The justification being: ask what they do and share advice/approaches.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:48 am 
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Dwedit wrote:
Because copy-pasting the first sentence from the second most recent post but replacing words with past tense is advanced spamming?

I was being pedantic and referred to the thread that does the controller read synchronized with the APU to avoid having the read being corrupted by the DMC. Nothing like you describe.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:52 am 

If Jarhmander's post has been deleted, that was definitely a moderator making a mistake (or a glitch in the matrix). Whodunit?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:59 am 

I apologize.

Now I'll make excuses as a means of brainstorming ways to learn from the mistake. If there are seven spam posts, and I have to delete them one at a time, I might occasionally end up deleting one too many. If I had my way, I'd open all the delete confirmation pages for all the spam posts in new tabs. But somehow only one confirmation token is allowed to be active per user session, which causes phpBB to cancel all other delete submissions as cross-site request forgery (CSRF) attempts.