It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:50 pm 

One time I was playing SMB3 on a cartridge, in level 2-1, and a wand fell out of the sky, spinning. It hit the ground and bounced off as usual. I picked it up and the game crashed. True story.

Is this a common hardware glitch? j/k

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:56 pm 

I'd imagine something like that would just be a bug in the game triggered by some random series of events and wouldn't have to do with hardware.

Kind of like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TWQr0_fi80 Look what happens around 2:00...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:05 pm 

darryl.revok wrote:
j/k

:)
I'm not sure what the glitch was in the DKC video. I guess I'm not familiar enough with that game to recognize it.

My buddy swears that his son jumped out of the lava in SMB1 once. He says he would believe it if he hadn't have seen it. I don't think I've seen that glitch in a speedrun video before.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:51 am 

If anything, it was probably SMB1's wall jump glitch. If you hit the wall at the right angle, you have one frame where your foot is inside the wall and you can jump again. And lava in SMB1 is just a decorated pit, so a wall jump makes sense.

In Super Mario 64, the timing window for wall jumping was widened intentionally, and it was given its own animation and a few Stars that require it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:19 am 

tepples wrote:
In Super Mario 64, the timing window for wall jumping was widened intentionally, and it was given its own animation and a few Stars that require it.

That's pretty misleading. In Super Mario Bros, it is nothing but a bug where Mario is stuck "inside" the wall briefly and as a result is considered grounded, primed for a jump. In Super Mario 64, the implementation, appearance, usage technique, and applications are all different...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:24 am 

mikejmoffitt wrote:
tepples wrote:

That's pretty misleading. In Super Mario Bros, it is nothing but a bug where Mario is stuck "inside" the wall briefly and as a result is considered grounded, primed for a jump. In Super Mario 64, the implementation, appearance, usage technique, and applications are all different...

That's sort of what I meant:
"appearance" => '"its own animation"
"applications" => "a few Stars that require it"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:16 pm 

darryl.revok wrote:
I'm not sure what the glitch was in the DKC video. I guess I'm not familiar enough with that game to recognize it.

He essentially warped from world 3 to world 6 after walking through that secret area by doing a random sequence of events beforehand. He broke the wall just as if he where using a barrel with Espresso, which isn't supposed to be possible.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:21 am 

thefox wrote:
Dwedit wrote:
thefox wrote:
Arkanoid seems to suffer from the same problem.

That game has horizontal mirroring and shouldn't have that problem at all.

Yeah that's why I was a little bit surprised to see it, but I wasn't sure whether I should trust the thread's assessment that the problem doesn't happen with horizontal mirroring.

I think I figured this one out. The game is writing zeroes to $2005 during rendering. (Happens at around scanline ~50 during rendering, but varies.) While this would normally be fine, when the writes fall on the magic dot, it ends up corrupting v.

Here's the post that inspired me to check it out: viewtopic.php?p=114350#p114350

Attachments:
arkanoid-glitch.jpg
arkanoid-glitch.jpg [ 108.19 KiB | Viewed 645 times ]