It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:29 am 

I have an NTSC NES + PowerPak. This means I too can perform tests that don't involve PAL, power-up state, or open bus.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:34 am 

dougeff wrote:
Regular game play for the first 180 -ish lines. Sprite zero hit, rendering off for about 8 lines, X and Y scroll changed, rendering back on...HUD displayed for 32 lines, then rendering off to the bottom of the screen

When your sprite0-check is at the bottom of the screen, you must make sure that your main game loop does not take too much time, right? Or do you have a trick to avoid this need?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:10 am 

I know of two ways to keep a bottom status bar rock solid on a mapper without a PIT:

• Estimation
    For each actor handler, estimate how long it will take in the worst case, using data from an emulator instrumented as a profiler. Add the estimated time of all actor handlers to a counter. If the next actor's handler won't fit, spill the remaining computation over to the next frame and wait for sprite 0. I think Gradius uses this.
  • DMC as timer
    Don't play sampled drums or sound effects. During the NMI handler, start a silent sample on DMC timed to finish just above your status bar, and have it fire an IRQ on completion. Wait for sprite 0 in an IRQ handler. I think Time Lord uses this.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:34 am 

Yes, ok, I know of the DMC timer. (which is probably the way to go)
For a game like Gradius, the estimation code could count the amount of enemies and bullets. Intersting idea, but painful... :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:16 am 

Re-uploading all the demos. All were tested in emulators and real NES. All are stable.

Demo 1. Midscreen X/Y scroll split, producing glitches. Press 'start' to hide glitch with sprites. I reduced the sprite count to 3.

Demo 2. Midscreen X/Y scroll split, no glitches. Timed with a sprite zero hit. Split occurs during Hblank to avoid glitches. Up/Down moves the sprite zero position.

Demo 3. Midscreen rendering off for several lines, then midscreen X/Y scroll split, no glitches. Timed with a sprite zero hit. Split occurs during Hblank to avoid glitches. Up/Down moves the sprite zero position.

Attachments:
Glitch2.zip [6.79 KiB]
Downloaded 27 times

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:25 am 

Interesting side-note. There is a slight audible buzzing sound (Powerpak to NES) when the sprite zero was in a certain range on the screen. I'd say between scanlines 210-230.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:32 am 

Quote:
When your sprite0-check is at the bottom of the screen, you must make sure that your main game loop does not take too much time, right? Or do you have a trick to avoid this need?

In the current project I'm working on, there is too much logic that occurs before sprite zero hits, and also not enough V-blank time to do all the PPU updates I need, so I've dropped down to 30 fps, and I do half the things each frame.

V-blank - half of the PPU updates
top screen - half of the game logic
sprite zero hit - screen split
a little more logic at the bottom

V-blank - second half of PPU updates
top screen - second half of game logic
sprite zero hit - screen split
a litte more logic at the bottom

And I update sprite movements every frame, so it still runs as smooth as 60 fps.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:01 am 

dougeff wrote:
Interesting side-note. There is a slight audible buzzing sound (Powerpak to NES) when the sprite zero was in a certain range on the screen. I'd say between scanlines 210-230.

Most likely you're hearing the video signal as audio, as it tends to bleed into the audio channel a bit. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsxxeJlmn1U

Other stuff can interfere with the audio signal too, but crosstalk from the PPU is a common culprit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:22 am 

Yeah, that was the buzzing sound, but not so loud, and only sometimes. I'm using the coaxial cable output from NES. I should probably go get an RCA cord.