It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: NES ROM graphics editor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:22 pm 

I have been absent for 2 weeks vacationing to the state of Florida. I decided to take some stuff on a USB hard drive thinger to work on some NES projects on this one laptop. I tried to open YY-CHR when I was there, and it wouldn't open it. It said it was contaminated with a virus, and wouldn't let me open it. So the anti-virus thing deleted it, so the only way to edit graphics was either with a hex editor, or to make a new editor. So I made a graphics editor that was a NES ROM. You can check it out here: http://www.freewebs.com/the_bott/GEdit.nes

It uses CHR RAM of course, and the CHR data is of course stored in SRAM. You can only edit $6000-$6FFF as of now, and you can't edit the first 4 tiles. I will fix this if anyone is interested. If you can't take a .EXE graphics editor somewhere, you can use this .NES one. I just thought I'd show this to you all, if you're interested.

EDIT:
Oh, I forgot about controls! Here they are:

Select = Switch between Tile editor/Tile Selector/Color Selector
Up = basic function/In Color Selector, it changes the color value of the color you're on
Down = Same thing as up, just down
Left = yeah
Right = yeah
B = While in tile editor, it deletes the pixel you just put down
A = Puts pixel down in tile editor. Will put current color selected in the pixel where the target was last in the tile editor.

Basic controls, just thought I'd tell what they are just incase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:59 pm 

I've also had this problem with my antivirus thinking that YY-CHR is a virus/trojan lots and lots of times, it's really anoying. worst of all is that my antivirus doesn't have a way to flag a file as being safe so I can use it anyway.. so now days when doing nes graphic I have to sit on a old P1 computer with win95 to use YY-CHR :?

oh, and cool editor. tried to do a little font in it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:26 pm 

Thanks for replying. Yeah, the computer thought it was infected, but it wasn't, I don't think. I think I'll have you able to edit the first four tiles by having sprites visible in their place as apposed to the BG 4 color selection. The first 4 tiles and a few sprites are automatically stored into CHR RAM no matter what's there when you shut the editor down. I have a lot of tuning to do to this. Is it hard to use? Or is it pretty okay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:17 pm 

I think this is an interesting idea. I just feel the "interface" is too crude. If you keep the amount of tiles you can edit at 256, you could divide them in 128 to each pattern table, and use the other 128 tiles of each table to store the graphics of an interface. Then use a sprite 0 hit or what ever to split the big square where the tiles are, with each half showing 128 tiles from one of the pattern tables. The "interface tiles" could be repeated in both tables, so that the split does not affect the interface. That's just a suggestion, the editor would kick ass if it had an interface.

With time, you could also add other functionalities, such as a larger editing area, where you could edit more than one tile at a time. Do you even plan on updating the editor?

I'm suddenly feeling the urge to make an editor myself (although it may go away in a few minutes, that's me)! =) I don't want to steal any of your ideas, of course. It just seems like a cool project!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 5:15 pm 

Thank you for your interest!

Yes, I do plan to update it. I want you to be able to edit BG and SPR parts of the file. I wasn't really planning on having them both present at the same time, I was planning to have a thing at the beggining to ask if you want to edit Background or Sprites, and then you'd edit it.

About the 4 tiles that you can't edit, here's my idea:

BKG is left, SPR is right. You'll edit the tiles that are in black. The first four tiles of your SAV file will be put in the SPR part of the table, and you can edit those, and they'll be saved in the first four tiles of your SAV file. Do you think this idea is good?

And one project that I think would be really, a big thing in the NESdev world, is a PRG editor. You know, this is a dumb question to be asking, but the PC can go to $6000-$7FFF, right? Because I was thinking of making a NES PRG editor where you can test code up to 8K on the real hardware! Wouldn't this be really cool?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:52 pm 

Celius wrote:
And one project that I think would be really, a big thing in the NESdev world, is a PRG editor. You know, this is a dumb question to be asking, but the PC can go to $6000-$7FFF, right?

Of course it can. It can even go in $0000-$07FF.

Quote:
Because I was thinking of making a NES PRG editor where you can test code up to 8K on the real hardware! Wouldn't this be really cool?

You mean like the "mini-assembler" from the Apple II BIOS? That might work, but then how would you edit the code on the NES using a joypad? (Or would it be Famicom-only and use the BASIC keyboard?) And how would you transfer the code between an NES and a PC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:14 pm 

Well, I was thinking of having it be like you select the instruction from a list, and you set the value after the instruction. It wouldn't be connected to a PC, you'd have the PRG data in SRAM. Now, I know this is probably not user-friendly at all, but the idea is so you can test ideas on the NES without having to change EPROMs and stuff like that. And I think I'll have the graphics editor on there, but you can't save your graphics, you'll have to remake them every time you turn on the system. I'll actually have a default CHR file on power up. It will include the ASCII characters. Does that sound good at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:56 am 

Using mapper 13 would be a good use of that mapper for a case such as this editor. Shame it wasn't a good use for video games, so the board is only found on that stupid videomation card. Since the goal isn't really to put the thing on a real hardware, why not go ahead and use the videomation mapper ?
A RPG editor with interface could be cool for map editor and maybe event editor. I wouldn't mind me trying to imput assembly language or raw RPG text in a NES game. First one RPG engine have to be done. Next editors can come.