Official games with PAL-adjusted code

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

TR3KT
Location: Australia, the land of British 50hz and obscure sports games.

Re: Official games with PAL-adjusted code

Post by TR3KT »

Bump! I think the OP's questions were not answered properly.

Little Samson has horizontal and vertical movement adjusted. There's a huge difference when playing PAL Little Samson on a PAL console and NTSC Little Samson on a PAL console.

PAL Kirby's Adventure Has a modified Demo screen to accomodate for the Speed Adjustment (Something the later version of SMB didn't do, check it out it's quite a great demo!). Kirby, Bosses and Minigames run the same as NTSC.

PAL Top Gun 2 is rumoured to be PAL fixed, but Konami wasn't known for doing that until the PS1 era so i don't know about that one.

PAL Air Fortress was PAL optimised (both Shooter and platforming sections.)

PAL DuckTales also has player speed optimisation

PAL BattleToads and Double Dragon is another game that was sped up as well.

PAL Guardian Legend's Player speed and Exploration section's scrolling is sped up. The game was published by Nintendo of Europe (One of the best localisers on the NES next to HAL and Rare) so this was to be expected.

PAL Rygar is one of two Tecmo games to have certain enemies (mostly the beginning ones) sped up, Player's running speed was adjusted but jumping speed was not. The game's difficulty was adjusted big time so i don't recommend digging into that one with a Hex Editor.

PAL Solomon's Key 2 (Fire N' Ice in the US) also has Solomon's Climbing speed, Victory Animation and walk speed adjusted. Fall speed was not adjusted.

PAL StarTropics is another game where walking speed was adjusted. (Both Overhead and Dungeon)

PAL Zelda is the same story. The intro has increased scrolling speed to synchronise with music. But overhead scrolling is slow though.

Wario's Woods, Mario & Yoshi (Yoshi in US), Yoshi's Cookie, Dr. Mario, Tetris and Tetris 2 all have full optimisation. (Mostly the problem with these PAL versions stems from being TOO fast.)

PAL Zen: Intergalactic Ninja feels similar to NTSC Zen: Intergalactic Ninja but that's just anecdotal i assume.

All of these games have adjusted gameplay code so try comparing these and see what Developers/Localisers did with them. Good Luck on your game!
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Perhaps its time to put this information on the wiki. The question seems to come up periodically.

Please contribute to this page if you can:
http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/List ... ifferences
TR3KT

Post by TR3KT »

Sure! I assume this wiki page also means general regional differences as well?

Probotector vs contra and that kind of stuff?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

There's another major wiki for documenting significant regional differences, that would be www.tcrf.net . That wiki isn't focused on technical stuff so much as visible differences.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
DRW

Post by DRW »

Thanks for the list with the PAL changes. I'll have a look at it later.
TR3KT wrote:Sure! I assume this wiki page also means general regional differences as well?

Probotector vs contra and that kind of stuff?
I agree with Dwedit here: The NESDev wiki is focused on things that are interesting from a technical and development point of view. Things that might be helpful for fellow developers.

Cosmetic changes like robots instead of humans or visual censorship are not really relevant on a development wiki.

Unless the visual changes are based on technical stuff, of course.
For example, as far as I remember, the Japanese version of "Contra" uses a different mapper which allowed the more dynamic backgrounds that became static in the US and PAL version.
My game "City Trouble":
Gameplay video: https://youtu.be/Eee0yurkIW4
Download (ROM, manual, artworks): http://www.denny-r-walter.de/city.html
TR3KT

Post by TR3KT »

I'm a member on the TCRF but i don't think i should add timing differences between PAL and NTSC because it's a lot more about source code, hidden strings and unused tiles, that sorta thing. The DuckTales page is the only one that really mentions any thing about the topic at all. And that's only to tie it with an unintended glitch.
trueform

Post by trueform »

There's a big confirmed list of PAL games.
https://cousingaming.com/2017/07/02/pal ... -progress/

Dragon's Lair NES had some notable changes (not just speed) from USA -> Japan -> Europe
https://kb.speeddemosarchive.com/Dragon%27s_Lair_(NES)