It is currently Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Re: NES zapper + LCD
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:20 am 

... I guess I did observe that a sufficiently bright single flash of light would cause the original zapper to trigger, despite not containing any repetition at all. So I guess it could make sense that a sufficiently higher-gain sensor would make the original 16kHz demodulator circuit rail and trigger with just a single dark-to-light transition.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:18 pm 

Just chiming in, but a few friends and I tried the Tomee Zapp Gun and had bad results. Despite a wide range of TV's, we couldn't get the hacks to work. Spoke to the creator several times, but we could not determine the reason. We surmise the build quality was of such poor quality in these guns that it's possible huge batches of them will not work as is. We're currently waiting on another friend to install a pontentiometer that would control the voltage which the light diode gets. This was done by someone on YouTube already, and we hope it works.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:31 pm 

You might try the zapper test roms I linked earlier in this thread. They could tell you whether or not your zapper is seeing the light from your TV, and can check function of the trigger.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:55 pm 

Hyperkin just announced at CES a new HDTV Light Gun Zapper, which many believe is going to utilize the same technology in the Modern Mallard......

https://www.facebook.com/10698879600289 ... 066715279/

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... with_hdtvs

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:02 am 

So they're trying to push that thing work the game-specific adapters again? That's just not cost-effective.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:41 am 

Depending on the details of what is announced at CES, the "Hyper Blaster HD Adapter" in the article could be either bad news or good news.

Bad news: It's a game-specific enhancer that sits between the Game Pak and the Control Deck, as in Modern Mallard.

Good news: It's a box that receives the composite video from the Control Deck and whatever position cue the gun is putting out and uses the position cue to gate returning the composite signal on the photodiode pin, as in the previous Wii Remote-driven prototype. The positioning tech could be licensed from one of the companies that sued Nintendo over the Wii Remote.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:50 am 

The picture in the Facebook link shows an adapter. That's not good news.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:28 am 

Yeah, I was hoping for a commercial scale lightgunverter. :(

Though I'd be happy even if just more lightgunverters were made.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:18 pm 

tepples wrote:
Depending on the details of what is announced at CES, the "Hyper Blaster HD Adapter" in the article could be either bad news or good news.

Bad news: It's a game-specific enhancer that sits between the Game Pak and the Control Deck, as in Modern Mallard.

Good news: It's a box that receives the composite video from the Control Deck and whatever position cue the gun is putting out and uses the position cue to gate returning the composite signal on the photodiode pin, as in the previous Wii Remote-driven prototype. The positioning tech could be licensed from one of the companies that sued Nintendo over the Wii Remote.

It's almost certainly the Modern Mallard design. However, if the new light gun has "modern" components, it should hopefully be good enough to work on most if not all HDTV's, for which you could use the LCD NES modded roms with an Everdrive, and play the other Zapper games.