Nesdev.com funding

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

How should I fund a new server

Keep the ads, but make them fit in better
35%
Ditch the ads and accept donations
55%
Neither option (please specify and alternative in a reply to this post)
9%

Total votes: 65

Bregalad

Re: Nesdev.com funding

Post by Bregalad »

Could the new donate button/advertisement be made somewhat more discrete ? For example having it at the bottom. Thanks.
Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander »

Bregalad wrote:Could the new donate button/advertisement be made somewhat more discrete ? For example having it at the bottom. Thanks.
You meant "discreet"?

I think it's better to be somewhere at the top, like where it is right now, because it's visible, if that helps getting donations.
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Well to me it sounds like the site is begging, which is sort of annoying.
Light-Dark

Post by Light-Dark »

Donated 15 buckaroos, hope it helps. A one time donation drive seems like a good idea. Ads for unregistered users seems fair if it helps reduce costs.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

For ublock origin users who don't want to see the paypal bar:

Code: Select all

forums.nesdev.com###menubar > table > tbody > tr:nth-of-type(2) > td > div > form
Then disable the filter when you feel like donating...
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

We have had a few donations already. I have a crude ledger up at http://nesdev.com/donate/. I will get the ledger cleaned up and looking a bit better soon. We are currently around 20% of the goal for a new server.

Thanks to those who have donated. entries marked with "--" for the name are those who I am waiting for a reply on if the donation is anonymous or not.
i dont have much to say
infiniteneslives

Post by infiniteneslives »

I think that expenses related to hosting would be a good use of funds generated by the action53 cartridge sales. I think it would also be nice to have the compo contribute to to the reoccurring maintenance fees as well. As for the ads/donations I don't have much input personally. I like seeing the donate button up there, and the ads are of no concern since I'm always logged in when I visit.

I might regret asking this, but I'm genuinely curious and would like to be educated on the matter if someone's willing to entertain me. So please pardon my naivety, but what are the reasons/benefits of hosting the site in the manner which is has been used for years and using an alternative like bluehost? I can assume that somehow you're getting what you pay for considering the costs are somewhere on the order of 10x more expensive. I'm only basing this off of the costs posted in the initial post, and what I'm used to paying for hosting my own site. Perhaps my fees are lower because of volume of visitors..? Or is the site's volume of data so big that it necessitates something more costly..? Something special about bbs?

Anyway, I'm just genuinely curious. If it was of any help I'd gladly offer up sharing my own server space at no charge, and giving WhoaMan or whoever full administrative access. I'm guessing it's not quite that simple though... Pretty sure I really only know enough about such matters to get myself in trouble when it comes to these web hosting matters.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

infiniteneslives wrote:I think that expenses related to hosting would be a good use of funds generated by the action53 cartridge sales. I think it would also be nice to have the compo contribute to to the reoccurring maintenance fees as well. As for the ads/donations I don't have much input personally. I like seeing the donate button up there, and the ads are of no concern since I'm always logged in when I visit.

I might regret asking this, but I'm genuinely curious and would like to be educated on the matter if someone's willing to entertain me. So please pardon my naivety, but what are the reasons/benefits of hosting the site in the manner which is has been used for years and using an alternative like bluehost? I can assume that somehow you're getting what you pay for considering the costs are somewhere on the order of 10x more expensive. I'm only basing this off of the costs posted in the initial post, and what I'm used to paying for hosting my own site. Perhaps my fees are lower because of volume of visitors..? Or is the site's volume of data so big that it necessitates something more costly..? Something special about bbs?

Anyway, I'm just genuinely curious. If it was of any help I'd gladly offer up sharing my own server space at no charge, and giving WhoaMan or whoever full administrative access. I'm guessing it's not quite that simple though... Pretty sure I really only know enough about such matters to get myself in trouble when it comes to these web hosting matters.
There are a few reasons why I prefer to self host in a co-location environment. One of the main ones has to do with many legal departments not understanding that NES development and such is not illegal, I don't have to worry about services being shut off based off of a misunderstanding.

Another reason is that we have offered (and plan to offer more) hosting for various NES or retro related sites, most hosting providers either do not allow or throw a fit when you are hosting multiple sites under one account.

I also like the peace of mind knowing that if something goes wrong or breaks, I can drive across town and get my hands on the server. I do not have to rely on a hosting company to restore services as I can usually run down and do it myself.

Another plus is that between the servers my work has co-located at the same location and the NesDev server, we can use the rest of the rack for free. any future expansion or projects will not cost anything extra besides hardware costs.

There are many other small reasons, but the ones I listed above are the ones I am most concerned with.
i dont have much to say
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

Are the co-location fees you mentioned just for NESDev, or is NESDev just one of several things using it? (i.e. is all $910/annual dedicated to NESDev?)
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

rainwarrior wrote:Are the co-location fees you mentioned just for NESDev, or is NESDev just one of several things using it? (i.e. is all $910/annual dedicated to NESDev?)
the $910 is dedicated to just the NesDev server. The current NesDev server is a 1U Dell Poweredge, the ISP charges per rack unit up to a certain point. My work has 6 2u servers + a 1U router co-located and when you add in the NesDev server it brings is to where we can use the rest of the rack.

edit:
and this is good since I will be going with a 2U server
i dont have much to say
tepples

Post by tepples »

infiniteneslives wrote:what are the reasons/benefits of hosting the site in the manner which is has been used for years and using an alternative like bluehost?
"Shared hosting" setups don't let you change, say, the stop word list or minimum word length for MySQL's built-in full-text search. (To work around that, I ended up writing my own full-text search.) To get this sort of customization, you need the next step up, a "VPS" (virtual private server). On a VPS, you run your own stripped-down Linux (with most drivers removed), your own nginx or Apache, your own PHP, and your own MySQL.
Something special about bbs?
I think our copy of MySQL is specially configured so that we can search for three-letter words.
B00daW

Post by B00daW »

Donated.
WhoaMan

Post by WhoaMan »

B00daW wrote:Donated.
Thanks, I will get it added to the ledger here shortly. :) As it currently sits , we are around $460 out of the $600 server goal
i dont have much to say
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I R broke. But, I was thinking about selling my bass guitar (since I never use it) and use the money for game development. Maybe I'll throw a few bucks your way. Maybe.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
zzo38

Post by zzo38 »

Dwedit wrote:For ublock origin users who don't want to see the paypal bar:

forums.nesdev.com###menubar > table > tbody > tr:nth-of-type(2) > td > div > form
Then disable the filter when you feel like donating...
Thanks; this was helpful to me. I use Stylish instead, although a similar code is usable with Stylish to do the same thing. I have no PayPal account or credit card so I cannot donate with that anyways, although you are of course correct that anyone who does want to donate later can temporarily disable it (and if some day I can donate, I expect that I will).

Here is the code for using it with Stylish in case it helps anyone (although if you already know Stylish, you can probably easily convert the above code yourself anyways):

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("forums.nesdev.com") {
  #menubar > table > tbody > tr:nth-of-type(2) > td > div > form {
    display: none;
  }
}
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)