It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:47 pm 

furrykef wrote:
I feel SVN in any form is dated and should not be used for new projects.

SVN is roughly the same age as Git, actively maintained, and widely used.

I mean, I'm aware of the ongoing holy wars about SVN vs Git (which I largely don't care about; I use both), but I'm kinda thrown by it being called "dated"?

Do you mean CVS, which was discontinued years ago?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:21 am 

SVN is most definitely not dated. The FreeBSD project actively uses it as their sole/primary VCS (there was a debate over which VCSes to use, including git, and SVN won), and has since roughly 2009.

It may be that you're thinking of RCS or CVS, however both are still used in many places as they work fairly well for purely local simple projects. (I myself used CVS up until about 2013).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:13 am 

No, I'm not confusing it with RCS or CVS. I've used SVN myself; in fact, I was responsible for getting a game company I worked for to use it. (Prior to then, they were using no version control at all!)

But git seamlessly handles things that are a pain in the butt in SVN. I don't know, maybe SVN has caught up since then; I last used SVN maybe six years ago. I also think distributed version control is inherently superior to centralized version control for small projects.

But what really makes git great is github. For example, I can patch somebody's software just by checking out their repo, making my changes, and submitting a pull request. No need to make any patch files, submit any bugs on the bug tracker, or anything like that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:08 am 

Another alternative to Git or Subversion is Fossil, which is what I use.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:03 pm 

After having Derek twist my arm at the beginning of the year trying to get me to do something like these, and now reading how much people say it is helpful, I went and joined Bitbucket. Figured out how to do my first commit and then push, so I guess we'll see how it goes!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:40 pm 

furrykef wrote:
I don't know, maybe SVN has caught up since then; I last used SVN maybe six years ago.

SVN is actively maintained, and it's been steadily (if subtly) improved over the years. The interface is mostly the same as it has always been, but a lot of things about it work better than they would have been several years ago.

It will never be a distributed system, but I consider that a bit of a wash. There's things I like about distributed version control and things I don't. There's a lot of things I like and hate about both git and SVN, really, but they're both pretty practical for a lot of uses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:36 pm 

I've used both svn and git. I prefer git, and I think it's better for large projects with many developers, but for a single developer's work I don't think there's much reason to prefer one over the other.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:21 pm 

It's so refreshing to see reasonable statements about git vs SVN here. I'm so tired of the "SVN sucks because it's not distributed" line. There's things git does better, but the dogma and/or groupthink about it drives me crazy.

I think half the kids complaining about SVN have never actually used it. Or they think GitHub == git.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:20 pm 

Hmm. I thought git = Github.

Thanks for enlightening us/me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:45 pm 

git is a VCS (version control system).

GitHub is a service provider for git repositories and a web interface for managing those repos (incl. access control), as well as things like making pull requests easier, and even providing support for SVN/Subversion. There are *tons* of providers that do the same thing GitHub does; which one suits needs/tastes/etc. varies in the eye of the beholder.

You can use git without a service provider (i.e. no HTTP, SSH, etc. -- just pure files/directories): see "Local": https://git-scm.com/book/ch4-1.html