It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:24 pm 

Good idea!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:25 am 

rainwarrior wrote:
Super Mario 3, Wizards and Warriors, Guardian Legend, and Crystalis all hide sprites for the HUD. I think it's very common for bottom HUDs, anyway.

All those games have the status bar at the bottom, what I meant was for status bar at the top, where it is really uncommon to have it hide sprites.

Quote:
For the record, I'm using CHR-ROM and it's not going to be backswitched... this is supposed to be a tiny game aiming high... (1-bit BNROM-register to enable 64k of PRG)
I added the gradient because CHR-ROM can't be compressed anyway... for monochrome fonts it's pretty easy by leaving out the second 8 bytes for every tile if you're using CHR-RAM.

Yeah, if you're using a single 8k CHR-ROM bank, the technique I mentionned is out of the question, and you don't want to abuse 8-sprites-per-scanline limitation, so disabling sprites via $2001 is the last viable option. You can still however disable them for 8 or 16 scanlines only, and disable the others (that are completely hidden below the HUD) by software only, so that you can trigger your sprite #0 hit 8 (or 16) lines before the scoll split. You then disable sprites, waint 8 or 16 lines, update the scroll and enable sprites again. You then have no risk of seeing the OAM decay I think.