It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:34 pm 

I wrote a few more macros, for the purpose of creating labels for pre-processed tables that already have the data arranged as columns:

Code:
   .macro StartTable _Label0, _Label1, _Label2, _Label3, _Label4, _Label5, _Label6, _Label7, _Label8, _Label9, _Label10, _Label11, _Label12, _Label13, _Label14, _Label15
      CreateTableLabels *, (:+ - *) / .paramcount, _Label0, _Label1, _Label2, _Label3, _Label4, _Label5, _Label6, _Label7, _Label8, _Label9, _Label10, _Label11, _Label12, _Label13, _Label14, _Label15
   .endmacro

.macro CreateTableLabels _Address, _RowCount, _Label0, _Label1, _Label2, _Label3, _Label4, _Label5, _Label6, _Label7, _Label8, _Label9, _Label10, _Label11, _Label12, _Label13, _Label14, _Label15
      .ifnblank _Label0
         .ident(.string(_Label0)) := _Address
         CreateTableLabels _Address + _RowCount, _RowCount, _Label1, _Label2, _Label3, _Label4, _Label5, _Label6, _Label7, _Label8, _Label9, _Label10, _Label11, _Label12, _Label13, _Label14, _Label15
      .endif
   .endmacro

.macro EndTable
      :
   .endmacro

Usage example:

Code:
   StartTable TopLeftTile, TopRightTile, BottomLeftTile, BottomRightTile, Attributes, CollisionType
      .incbin "metatiles.bin"
   EndTable

Due to the way that the size of the data is calculated (anonymous label after the data), you obviously can't use anonymous labels inside the block. This is meant for binary files though (otherwise you could just write the labels normally), so this shouldn't be a problem.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:40 pm 

I'm having difficulty understanding the purpose of that example. Does it produce something equivalent to this?
Code:
MetaTiles:
.incbin "metatiles.bin"

TopLeftTile     = MetaTiles + 0
TopRightTile    = MetaTiles + 1
BottomLeftTile  = MetaTiles + 2
BottomRightTile = MetaTiles + 3
Attributes      = MetaTiles + 4
CollisionType   = MetaTiles + 5

Edit: or maybe I was confused by the word "columns", it looks more like:
Code:
MetaTiles:
.incbin "metatiles.bin"
MetaTileStride = (* - MetaTiles) / 6

TopLeftTile     = MetaTiles + (0 * MetaTileStride)
TopRightTile    = MetaTiles + (1 * MetaTileStride)
BottomLeftTile  = MetaTiles + (2 * MetaTileStride)
BottomRightTile = MetaTiles + (3 * MetaTileStride)
Attributes      = MetaTiles + (4 * MetaTileStride)
CollisionType   = MetaTiles + (5 * MetaTileStride)

?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:47 pm 

Yup, the second one (although the assignments should be done with ":=" - like in the macro - which makes ca65 treat the symbols as labels).

EDIT: As for my naming conventions, I was trying to base everything around "arrays" at first, but that started to get confusing when it wasn't clear if I was talking about the original array of structures or the resulting arrays within the final structure after transformation, so I decided to go with tables instead, that can be viewed either as rows or as columns. The table is always the same, but with the first set of macros I made you create them with rows, and output them as columns, but the table is still a table, a row is still a row and a column is still a column, unlike happens with arrays of structures when they become structures of arrays.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:02 am 

tokumaru wrote:
Yup, the second one (although the assignments should be done with ":=" - like in the macro - which makes ca65 treat the symbols as labels).

What does that mean? In what situation is = not equivalent to := for a label's assignment?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:11 am 

As far as I know, the only difference is that := will cause the symbol to be written to the label file that the assembler can generate, so I use it whenever I want to simulate a regular label. It's just for debugging purposes.

http://cc65.github.io/doc/ca65.html#ss6.1 wrote:
The label assignment operator is almost identical, but causes the symbol to be marked as a label, so it may be handled differently in a debugger

EDIT: When I said the assignments "should" be done like that, I didn't mean "this is the correct thing to do" but "this would be the exact equivalent to what my macros do".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:32 am 

Okay so the difference seems to be entirely in the .dbg output if you use it. (I don't use them; I guess they're for some C64 debugger called "VICE"?) You get "type=equ" vs "type=lab" on the line describing the label.

Other than that it seems that they do exactly the same thing? I always thought that := was just an alias for = to keep familiarity for people who were used to other assemblers that only have :=.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:53 am 

The file you get when using the -Ln option doesn't include symbols created with = at all. I didn't try the .dbg files. But yeah, functionally it doesn't make any difference. But since the assembler does apparently keep track of whether each symbol is a label or not, I'd rather have things that are in fact labels be marked as such, just in case.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:06 am 

Ah, yes it does seem to omit things from the ln if they're made with =. I had never noticed. (Exporting or importing them will cause them to be emitted anyway, though.)

Looking over my game's code, though, seems to be a good thing, though. The only labels I create with = are aliases of other labels, so I don't really want to be generating duplicate symbols for them anyway, and the rest are just constants for immediate use. So... explains why I never noticed that even though I do use the ln debug output a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:21 am 

It occurs to me that I've wished in the past that there was a way to distinguish constants from labels so that warnings/errors could be generated when using # with a label, or not using # with a constant or literal (and providing explicit cast operators to suppress the warnings).

Since the debug information has this already, it could actually be done. I don't often make # typos, but it would be lovely if they could be made virtually impossible with simple checking. Would be much more useful than the half-baked range checking that got implemented. :P

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:08 am 

rainwarrior wrote:
Okay so the difference seems to be entirely in the .dbg output if you use it. (I don't use them; I guess they're for some C64 debugger called "VICE"?)

The label file (-Ln) is actually the one that was made for VICE. VICE doesn't support the debug files.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:45 am 

I should have gone to bed instead of trying to read ca65 documentation at 4 am. :P