Twin Famicom Power Supply

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

jaek_3

Twin Famicom Power Supply

Post by jaek_3 »

So, I recently got a twin famicom which included a power adapter with the following specs

Input: AC100-240V 50/60Hz
Output: DC 7.5V ~ 1500mA

The problem is that I get this annoying buzzing sound, and the disk system doesn't seem to work, but that might be due to a missaligned spindle head. I'll swap it out with my working FDS to test later.

I've read that a PSOne power supply is compatable with the twin famicom, but how would I go about modding the tip to fit into the twin famicom? Snip it out and replace with one that fits?
hawken

Re: Twin Famicom Power Supply

Post by hawken »

You would be better off getting a legitimate power supply made by sharp.

They also made a generic version of the power brick to the same specs that doesn't say twin famicom on it.

You often see them on eBay.

The power supply is kinda unique & I'd be wary of trying to use an alternative.

The disk systems were built using a cheap belt drive, these usually fail first. Again you can pick one up for a few bucks on eBay.
twitter: http://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus - gameboy styled game for 3DS, WiiU & Steam
koitsu

Post by koitsu »

Regardless of what the power adapter is that was included/sold to you, you should ensure it complies with what the official Sharp AC adapter is. Reference:

Code: Select all

The Sharp Twin Famicom AC-Adapter is different. Its specifications are:
Input: 100VAC 50-60Hz
Output: 7.6VDC 1250mA (1.25A)
Polarity: Centre Pin Positive
(-)------------(o------------(+)
Barrel Size: Outer Diameter 5.5mm; Inner Diameter 2.5mm
Everything looks OK/compatible with the AC adapter you were sold, except for the following 2 things:

* The 0.1V DC difference might be a problem (hardware folks like lidnariq will need to comment on this -- it's outside of my familiarity zone; my gut feeling is that it "probably" doesn't matter)
* Polarity matters: you didn't disclose what polarity is of the AC adapter you were sold. You need to make sure it's centre pin positive. (I've talked about all of this before, but for the SNES/SFC not the Twin Famicom)

Hope this helps.
Vectrex2809

Post by Vectrex2809 »

I bought a power supply for my Twin Fami from this site and it works flawlessly. - http://en.retrogamesupply.com