APU phase reset test ROM

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Rahsennor

APU phase reset test ROM

Post by Rahsennor »

This ROM tests the behaviour of the APU pulse channel phase resets when writing to $4003 and $4007.

What It Tests

The correct behaviour is to reset the duty cycle sequencers but not the clock dividers, which will result in a click followed by silence.

The behaviour implemented by most emulators is to also reset the clock dividers, which will result in a continuous tone.

This ROM will not function correctly on clones with mixed-up duty cycles, but should work on all other hardware. It has been verified on a PAL NES.

How It Tests It

First, the pulse channel clock dividers are configured with a period of 260 CPU cycles and identical phase:

Code: Select all

; a = 0
	sta $4002
	sta $4003
	sta $4006
	sta $4007
	jsr wait_4096

ldx #$81
	stx $4002
	jsr wait_256
	stx $4006
Then pulse 1 is started immediately, and pulse 2 is started 1284 cycles later:

Code: Select all

; a = 0
	sta $4003
	jsr wait_1024
	jsr wait_256
	sta $4007
Since the first write is known to take place at the start of a period, pulse 1 is advanced floor(1284/260) = 4 sequencer steps before pulse 2 is started, thus putting them exactly 180 degrees out of phase. As both channels have been set to full-volume square waves, no sound is heard.

If the clock dividers are also reset, the two will be 1284 cycles out of phase, which is way off the correct delay of 1040 cycles, and both are clearly audible.
Attachments
apu_phase_reset.zip
(643 Bytes) Downloaded 1730 times
Sour

Re: APU phase reset test ROM

Post by Sour »

Thanks for the test rom!
As far as I can tell, I can't hear a single sound in Mesen.

Also, this revealed a bug in my NES 2.0 implementation - roms with both no CHR RAM & no CHR ROM would crash on load. So the test rom ended up testing 2 different things!
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Sour wrote: As far as I can tell, I can't hear a single sound in Mesen.
Just to double-verify: On hardware, there's a clear popping sound before the silence.
Sour

Post by Sour »

WheelInventor wrote:Just to double-verify: On hardware, there's a clear popping sound before the silence.
Yup, I do hear that at the very start before the silence, should have mentioned it.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Rahsennor wrote:Since the first write is known to take place at the start of a period
Does this work only at power-up, or can you align the channel's periods anywhere? If the former, it may not work on a flash cart such as the PowerPak. If the latter, how does that work?
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

tepples wrote:Does this work only at power-up, or can you align the channel's periods anywhere? If the former, it may not work on a flash cart such as the PowerPak. If the latter, how does that work?
It works at any time, and the code is in the OP: set the period to zero and wait. The apu_mixer test by blargg uses the same technique, though his timing is 4 cycles off so his version isn't completely silent.
tepples

Post by tepples »

I know setting the period of a pulse wave to anything less than 8 mutes the channel. I thought it also froze the divider. I guess this might also be a test for that not being the case.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

AFAICT nothing can freeze or reset the divider. It reloads from the period registers on underflow and that's it.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

tepples wrote: Does this work only at power-up, or can you align the channel's periods anywhere? If the former, it may not work on a flash cart such as the PowerPak.
I've tested it on a powerpak and can confirm that it passed the test.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

The correct behaviour is to reset the duty cycle sequencers but not the clock dividers, which will result in a click followed by silence.
RockNES has passed.
Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S »

I'm not sure this test work correct on flash-cartridges...
Here is Famicom AV (RP2A03H + RP2C02H-0 chips) captured video:

Everdrive-N8
InviteNES

P.S:
same thing on dendy. I've tested chip without swap dutycycles bug (TA-03NP1 6527P),
because it already installed on PCB, i'm lazy right now replace it to UMC UA6527P.
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

They're both correct. That click is all it's meant to do.
Eugene.S

Post by Eugene.S »

Yes, you're right, but i confused about gray screen on everdrive-n8.
What official games rely on this behavior? Want to hear difference between emulators.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Does the N8 leave any residue in ram if not manually cleared? I know powerpak leaves sprite garbage.
thefox

Post by thefox »

It's a good idea to give some indication when the test is running and when it has finished running (so that the user knows whether it loaded correctly, etc), like that "bleep" at the start and end of blargg's tests.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi