It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:55 am 

Now that there's a Chinese area, perhaps we can try to help make some of the information here more accessible to the new Chinese users. So the first thing I wanted to do was skim through the wiki and post a bit of the essential information in Chinese.

That's when I got reminded that I can't access http://nesdevwiki.ath.cx/. I should also mention that I can't access Quietust's Nintendulator site (which shares the domain ath.cx). It has been this way as long as I can remember, so it's probably a widespread issue (ie. ath.cx is inaccessible for many, if not all, users in China). Perhaps someone can find a different host for it, or a temporary mirror.

Edit: I've noticed now that http://nesdev.com/ has a lot of nice links and actual documents online. No faq or wiki there though. Upon trying to find out what ath.cx is, it seems it's a dynamic dns service.. which may not be good anyway because it tends to be one of the least accessible kinds of things (in terms of workplaces, schools, etc.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:30 am 

I can speak English, Chinese, and a little Japanese :lol:
I'm living in China, will graduate this year, and will be a professional online-game programmer soon. To develop emulators is my great interest, I have developed a NES (it's called FC in China) emulator and a GB/GBC emulator(both without sound :( ).
In my opinion, most of those programmers who speak English as their mother tongue are great. :idea: The best computer books are written in English. Since I like programming, I read a lot of English books in college == studying English hard. :D By the way, love to see American movies. :wink:

This is my website about my emulator project :
http://ershu.3q5.com
It's a Chinese version. Later I will put an English version. Recently, I'm stduying The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing in my spare time for adding sound support to my emulators. Hope to make some friends here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:22 am 

I'm really surprised how popular the NESdev China board is frequented, and how many chineese people are using it right after it was founded. I know that a lot of reverse-engineering has been done in China and Taiwan, but I didn't know they still care about the NES/Famicom today. Looks like it had been a good idea to open the board.
For some reason everything that have to do with reverse-engineering, emulation, piracy, is all about China and/or Taiwan. I'm unsure why, since I know nothing about those countries. I've heard that they are just full of people working incredibly hard since the age of 8 for an incredibly low salary, wich is kind of sad. Almost all electronics are made in the industry in those countries, just because it is cheaper. Again, I do fell like knowing nothing about China, so exange more knowlege on the net can only be good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:54 am 

upstair :?

1. Even today still have some manufacturers localizing NES games for commercial in China.

2. Most of Chinese people's salary is much lower than Americian's. But our price is much lower too. Can you buy half a kilogramme of beef with less than 1$ in America ??? In China, you can. Low salary, low price. Your imagination about China was totally misunderstood. If you come to China, you will know how beautiful it is.

3. Taiwan is not a country!! It's a part of China. OK ?!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:17 am 

Try not to worry too much about the words people use. Many of us also call all tissue paper "Kleenex" even if it's a different brand. Strange things happen in language sometimes. It's human nature. If we try to force ourselves to use different words, it feels unnatural and we laugh. Many of us have already been lectured about Taiwan several times by visiting Chinese students, even though we understand it very well in a nuanced way. People who go into politics begin using their government's recommended terminology quickly, but other people just want to be natural and have friendly conversations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:42 am 

ershu wrote:
1. Even today still have some manufacturers localizing NES games for commercial in China.

That's quite surprising, but quite good. Old games aren't worse than new ones.

Quote:
Most of Chinese people's salary is much lower than Americian's. But our price is much lower too. Can you buy half a kilogramme of beef with less than 1$ in America ??? In China, you can. Low salary, low price. Your imagination about China was totally misunderstood. If you come to China, you will know how beautiful it is.

Maybe. But I'm not american, but european (I think it is similar to you, but not for us). I've no doubt China is an interesting country, but the economic situation isn't fair for both yours and ours :
If anyone want to try its chance and create a new small entreprise here, it will have to put incredibly high prices because there is no other way, and it will run down and crash unless your entreprise is doing something very particular or of a very high quality, because products of big international companies that do all the building in chineese industry will be cheaper. So the only way to get a good job here is to go to high scool or university to work in reshearch and developpement, and work in big entreprises. But by doing so, you do nothing but enlarge the difference between the big entreprises and small ones, make technology progress, exploit more the chineese constructors and polluting more the planet. This is an horrible vicious circle, and should absolutely be stopped.

You can also work in wood industry or something that have less changes over years, but for some reason I'm myself interested in computers and electronics, and unfortunately this kind of industry has big problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:46 am 

ershu wrote:
3. Taiwan is not a country!! It's a part of China. OK ?!!

<threadjack>
Some (but not all) people in Taiwan would disagree with you on that point.
</threadjack>

Post subject: Puerto Taiwan?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:30 am 

And some people in Puerto Rico want the territory to become a separate country too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:10 pm 

I personally didn't know China played much NES, or had one for that matter. I thought that there wouldn't be enough space for the kanji in the pattern tables. Are there not many RPGs for the FC in China? I can't imagine they have many. Maybe I'm just assuming too much, I don't really know anything about chinese. I'm learning japanese though, and I've learned a little about chinese through learning about japanese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:23 pm 

Celius wrote:
I personally didn't know China played much NES, or had one for that matter. I thought that there wouldn't be enough space for the kanji in the pattern tables.

When you have a mapper that's essentially an expanded TQROM, pattern table space isn't an issue. Take a typical NES game with 256 KiB PRG ROM and 128 KiB CHR ROM. Add an 8 KiB CHR RAM and double the PRG size. Then whenever a character speaks, the engine can copy kanji glyphs from PRG ROM into CHR RAM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:37 am 

Most NES games does have neraly no text, so playing them in english or japanese is okay.
Only 1% of NES games have enough text to be mattered, including the very best ones (Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest), but that still is only 1% of NES games.

PS : I really don't know how you guy could be so interesed about japanese and chinese languages. Learn an language that only use latin letters is really hard enough, I wouldn't assume to learn one wich has totally different and unreconisable letters.