Why only 52 colors instead of 256?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwedit

Re: Why only 52 colors instead of 256?

Post by Dwedit »

Ugh, lack of perspective correction ages the worst out of anything.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

And the fixed point "wobble" in the polygons... to be fair the PS1 looked rubbish when it was new. except the 2D titles or mostly 2D titles...
psycopathicteen

Post by psycopathicteen »

I think PS2 looks worse than PS1 actually. PS2 graphics were always about dull colors, blurry anti-aliasing, and grainy textures applied to every freaking thing. A person's face, there's a texture, a wall, there's a texture, a side walk, if it's onscreen make sure it's textured as fuck or else people won't think it's detailed enough.
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

FrankenGraphics wrote:
na_th_an wrote:As a pixel artist, I wish I had more dark shades to work with. Creating dark graphics usually ends up with tons of pitch black on screen as dithering looks awful.
There is actually a solution to this, of sorts, at a cost.

1)Set all emphasis bits to 1.
2)Adjust your subpalettes to be brighter, except the darks you want to use.
3)Et voilà!

-The 'bright pastels' can actually become more useful this way, depending on application, as half-desaturated mid-brights.
-Depending on how you look at it, the washed-out effect it has can be viewed as a downside or unique feature of style. It is a bit more Commodore 64-esque.
-The biggest downsides are there's no pure white any more, and that you can't mix and match with non-damped colours.
-But you can, with some limitation and unless i'm missing something, decide per scanline (for example keep full saturation and use white in the status bar and damp the scenery, or vice versa).
Interesting idea, never thought of it :) I've played using the blue emphasis bit quite a bit in my games, but never thought on using all three bits to 1 to make it look moodier. Nice one.