NES paint programs?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

monobogdan

NES paint programs?

Post by monobogdan »

Hi.
I working on game(for PC, not nes), and i have small question. Is any program to per pixel drawing with NES pallete exist?
tepples

Re: NES paint programs?

Post by tepples »

It depends on how accurate to the NES limits you want your game's graphics to adhere.

If you just want the colors, here's a PNG image containing a reasonable palette.

There's a background graphics editor that runs on an NES or in an NES emulator. It comes with a command-line tool written in Python that turns a 256x240 pixel PNG image and a 32-character palette string into a save file for the background or vice versa. Converting a PNG to a save file and back is a good way to see whether a particular PNG file respects the NES limits.

What operating system does your PC run? FreeBSD, GNU/Linux, Windows, or something else?
monobogdan

Post by monobogdan »

tepples wrote:It depends on how accurate to the NES limits you want your game's graphics to adhere.

If you just want the colors, here's a PNG image containing a reasonable palette.

There's a background graphics editor that runs on an NES or in an NES emulator. It comes with a command-line tool written in Python that turns a 256x240 pixel PNG image and a 32-character palette string into a save file for the background or vice versa. Converting a PNG to a save file and back is a good way to see whether a particular PNG file respects the NES limits.

What operating system does your PC run? FreeBSD, GNU/Linux, Windows, or something else?
Win7
tepples

Post by tepples »

Do you know, or are you willing to learn, how to use the Windows Command Prompt? Or do you require that all applications have a GUI and be launchable through a double-click in File Explorer?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

You can easily make palettes for Photoshop or Gimp containing only the NES' colors, if that's the only restriction you're worried about. However, the NES doesn't work with RGB, the PPU creates its colors by directly manipulating the composite video signal... Add that to the fact that every TV displays colors differently and the result is that everyone remembers NES games differently, and there's no definitive 100% correct NES palette for use in computer programs. There are a few palette generators (such as this one) that allow you to tweak several parameters that affect how the the native NTSC signal is converted to RGB, so you can try creating one that you think looks correct and will work well for your game.
monobogdan

Post by monobogdan »

tepples wrote:Do you know, or are you willing to learn, how to use the Windows Command Prompt? Or do you require that all applications have a GUI and be launchable through a double-click in File Explorer?
No. I'm working with linux in previous, but in this case i want draw my sprites in GUI environment.
I'm ask about programs to draw sprites per pixel in style like nes. Not PS for DOS or something like this. Don't offtopic.
I mean something like marmoset hexels
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

monobogdan wrote:Stupid answer.
I'm ask about programs to draw sprites per pixel in style like nes. Don't offtopic.
That's a pretty rude answer to give someone who's trying to help you.

"NES-style art" is something you can do in any program if you know the restrictions of the system, which you should if you're trying to simulate it in a PC game.
monobogdan

Post by monobogdan »

tokumaru wrote:
monobogdan wrote:Stupid answer.
I'm ask about programs to draw sprites per pixel in style like nes. Don't offtopic.
That's a pretty rude answer to give someone who's trying to help you.

"NES-style art" is something you can do in any program if you know the restrictions of the system, which you should if you're trying to simulate it in a PC game.
I don't like when someone try to learn me how to use cmd.
pubby

Post by pubby »

MTpaint with a NES palette.
tepples

Post by tepples »

For actual painting, as opposed to previewing what a background would look like under NES limits, I use GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) with the NES palette image that I linked earlier.
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Give YY-CHR a try; you will be editing NES tiles directly.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

Use the NES Screen Tool, available on Shiru's website.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES