It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:31 am 

byuu wrote:
Seriously though, I'd like to go if I ever get around to learning Mandarin. I'm dying to see the new Condor Heroes remakes, but sadly I can't understand any of them.

I recommand the 1983 TVB version of Condor Heroes, it is widely considered as the most classic version. But I am afraid that foreigners can't understand the story very well, it involves too much culture of "Jiang Hu", which I can't find a correspongding word in English. Also it is hard for me to describe the concept in a few sentences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:56 am 

Bregalad wrote:
There was pirate multicarts with FF and MegaMan games ?? I'd like to know more about it !!
You say there is a popular chineese RPG on the NES ? What is it called ?

Maybe I make a mistake again, but I clearly remember the cover of the multicart. It shall looks like the following:

http://nesworld.parodius.com/pirate/20-2b.jpg

Of course what I played is a FC multicart. And the games in it were also different from what are shown on the above picture. I forgot the other games in this cartridge. :(

As for chinese RPG, "Feng Shen Bang", "Jing Ke Xin Zhuan", etc. I don't know how to translate them. The above two games are original chinese games. In the past ten years, some classic RPG games on FC have also been translated into chinese by some groups of FC fans. And there is a company that have released some chinese FC games: Fuzhou WaiXing Computer Science & Technology Co.,Ltd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:12 am 

zerof wrote:
byuu wrote:
Seriously though, I'd like to go if I ever get around to learning Mandarin. I'm dying to see the new Condor Heroes remakes, but sadly I can't understand any of them.

I recommand the 1983 TVB version of Condor Heroes, it is widely considered as the most classic version. But I am afraid that foreigners can't understand the story very well, it involves too much culture of "Jiang Hu", which I can't find a correspongding word in English. Also it is hard for me to describe the concept in a few sentences.

(this post is for byuu or whoever - I just quoted zerof for the thread)

For understanding Chinese movies (including Hong Kong movies), I'd recommend a book called "My Country and My People" (吾国与吾民) by Lin Yutang (林语堂). It was written in 1935 by a Chinese guy who was asked by an American author to explain Chinese culture to foreigners. I happened to read it before watching the "A Chinese Ghost Story" (倩女幽魂) series.. and was grateful because I would have missed a lot if I hadn't. Rather than get too off-topic.. you could check a review here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9971642050/103-1510057-1089402?v=glance&n=283155

I got mine from the "Foreign Language Teaching and Research Press" in China after a recommendation from a Chinese friend. I don't know where else you can get it. There seem to be a few used copies on Amazon. You can easily view the whole version in Chinese with a Google search (true of many books)... but he wrote the original in English.. and the English one is more useful :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:44 am 
Site Admin

augnober wrote:
There seem to be a few used copies on Amazon. You can easily view the whole version in Chinese with a Google search (true of many books)... but he wrote the original in English.. and the English one is more useful :)

There's a scanned version here:
http://www.archive.org/details/MyCountryAndMyPeople

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:48 am 

Only few multicards have been dumped. There is a 20-in-1 dumped, but this isn't the one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:58 pm 

zerof wrote:

I've heard that the Chinese prefer that version by and large, whereas most foreigners enjoy the newer 2003-ish remake more. The reasons for both should be obvious enough. I was able to purchase the entire DVD series of the new version (17 DVDs) for ~$15 on eBay. But of course, no subtitles. Not that I was expecting any. $15 is pretty affordable and I have it tucked away in case I ever do get around to studying. I'd actually like to see both eventually.

Quote:
I'd recommend a book called "My Country and My People" (吾国与吾民) by Lin Yutang (林语堂)

Looks interesting. I'd like to get something a bit more modern as well, as I would like to visit, and I prefer to be more culturally adept if possible :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:33 am 

Quote:
Looks interesting. I'd like to get something a bit more modern as well, as I would like to visit, and I prefer to be more culturally adept if possible :)

Yeah. I started reading it after I'd been in China a total of about a year and a half, so it did a good job of filling in things I was wondering about. I can understand maybe you'd be more concerned about taking something 70 years old and using it as your sole guide to the country :) Personally, I actually wasn't going to read the book until I saw the old date on it, because I worried that a newer book would have too much of an agenda. Maybe there's a good new book out there somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:11 pm 

zerof wrote:
byuu wrote:
But I am afraid that foreigners can't understand the story very well, it involves too much culture of "Jiang Hu", which I can't find a correspongding word in English. Also it is hard for me to describe the concept in a few sentences.

This might help, I know that it helped me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiang_Hu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Return ... dor_Heroes

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:46 am 

fascinating history I almost fell asleep reading it.anyway the multicarts have wierd versions of smb1 like "fast Mario", world 0-1 mario, no title mario,ect.
and I rarely see contra in any multicarts I have.