It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:38 pm 

I started messing with NES programming last month and along the way I tried to find a 6502 assembly syntax highlighting file to use in Notepad++, but the only ones I found were old links on this forum that don't work anymore. (Of course, as I'm about to post this, I scroll down and find DragonDePlatino's post about basically the same thing. Oh well :lol:)
So I ended up making my own, and I wanted to share it here for anyone that might find it useful.

Link: https://github.com/tragicmuffin/6502-npp-syntax

I used NESASM3 to make my game, so I have a file that highlights directives and things for that, but I also included a general file that just highlights 6502 syntax.
If anyone would like highlighting for directives of a different assembler, send me a link to the assembler's commands and I'll make a separate file for it.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:06 pm 

Thanks for posting this! I just tried to set this up, but in Notepad++ I get "Failed to Import" when I try to import either of the XML files. Unfortunately it doesn't give any further info. I'm using v7.5.6 on Windows (64 bit), is there maybe an updated version available?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:09 pm 

I don't import anything in Notepad++, I just save the file ("userdeflanguage" or something) in the correct folder and the language starts working.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:39 pm 

While we are on the topic, I might be late to the party, but Sublime Text's build system is absolutely amazing for NES development.

A few years ago I had given sublime a try and found it to be form over function, it looked good, but wasn't very useful. But I must say this version is really good.

Without any plugins (just a syntax def and a 3-line build script) you get really good syntax highlight, autocomplete (if it finds the same word in the file it will autocomplete) and build errors are highlighted in a really nice way. I have it setup so that F7 builds and F5 runs, VS-style.

-Mat

Attachments:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 137.36 KiB | Viewed 1956 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:52 pm 

Semi-related: for those who use vim (editor) and ca65 (assembler), there's this: https://github.com/maxbane/vim-asm_ca65

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:50 pm 

Derp, I munged up the Xml file when I downloaded it. When I got a proper copy of the file, it started working OK. Nothing to see here! :mrgreen: