It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:22 pm 

bleubleu wrote:
The one thing I would tweak is that I would highlight tiles/att changes regardless of whether the data has actually changed or not
Yea, I figured this was less than ideal. The current implementation is strictly a UI-side feature and it would actually require a lot more changes to be able to properly highlight all writes (as there is currently no tracking of PPU read/writes in the debugger). I'll add it to my list as a future improvement idea, but it might be a while before I can get to it.

gauauu wrote:
Is there a way to make it start in a random bank/banks? (which I realize is slightly complicated because it has to work for each banking scheme). It would be nice to be able to properly test to make sure my stubs to jump into the first bank are all working right.
I've added an option for this in the emulation options: "Randomize power-on state for mappers".
It only has an impact on some mappers - specifically, those you mentioned + most of the mappers covered by tepples' holy diver tests (since I figured those were also most likely good candidates for homebrew). It will randomize startup banks, and also other things like prg/chr banking modes or mirroring (when possible). It's far from perfect, but it should at least help just a little bit when trying to check for initialization bugs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:39 pm 

Hi.

I've been enjoying 0.9.6 so far. Such a good tool for development.

One tiny feature that I keep wanting to have would be to be able to jump to the memory viewer by right clicking on a Label in the debugger. I use debug info, so pretty much every symbol is there and often I am "what does this thing contain again?".

The ultimate would be to have 2 options (if applicable):
- Show in CPU memory
- Show in ROM/RAM memory (useful when a bank isn't currently mapped).

See attached image for a terrible ms-paint mockup.

-Mat

Attachments:
Mockup.jpg
Mockup.jpg [ 96.36 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:54 pm 

Do we want to count the ROM addresses relative to the start of PRG ROM (e.g. $000000-$01FFFF) or of the iNES image (e.g. $000010-$02000F)?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:57 pm 

bleubleu wrote:
The ultimate would be to have 2 options (if applicable):
- Show in CPU memory
- Show in ROM/RAM memory (useful when a bank isn't currently mapped)
If I remember correctly, rainwarrior also requested something similar to this a while ago (although I think his case was to navigate from one memory type to the other within the hex editor, I'd have to find the post). These kinds of actions would probably be useful in a number of other places, too (e.g right-click in the code window, hex editor, etc.) It shouldn't be too hard to add these (not just in the label list, but in general), I'll try to get around to it soon.

tepples wrote:
Do we want to count the ROM addresses relative to the start of PRG ROM (e.g. $000000-$01FFFF) or of the iNES image (e.g. $000010-$02000F)?
Mesen currently has "PRG ROM" and "CHR ROM" addressing types for breakpoints/labels that count bytes based on the start of a particular memory type, rather than the offset in the .nes file.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:04 pm 

Cool, thanks!

Let me know if you need testing.

-Mat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9