Looking for programmers to work on exciting new projects!

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Epyx

Looking for programmers to work on exciting new projects!

Post by Epyx »

First of all, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this and please move it mods if it isn't!

My name is Kieren and represent Epyx Software, yes, the very same Epyx that produced such classics as California Games, Impossible Mission, Chip's Challenge, Temple of Apshai and Jumpman (among many many others!)

This year the Epyx name and brand is being relaunched with a bang and we will be releasing ports of our existing I.P., sequels to these classics and a host of new and original titles too for current gen consoles, Steam, mobile and, of course, retro machines too!

So where do you lot come in I hear you ask?

Well one of the formats we really want to support is the NES! And I am lead to believe that this is the very best place to recruit coders, artists and musicians to work on these new games.

So do you have a NES game you would like to get professionally published where you can get paid and earn generous royalties on every cartridge sold?
Maybe you would love to port Epyx classics such as Temple of Apshai, Jumpman, Pitstop, Death Sword (Barbarian), Slime World, World Karate, Super Cycle or California Games II to the NES?
Or perhaps you would like to get involved in producing cartridges, PCBs or designing boxes for these games?

If you answered yes to any of the above or you have any questions then please reply or get in contact with me to discuss further!

Last edited by Epyx on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pubby

Re: Looking for programmers to work on exciting new projects

Post by pubby »

Is this contract work or not? Only paying royalties would be kind of a joke.
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

If you need a graphics artist who can carefully condition your assets/IP for any portations you want to make for the NES (potentially other platforms too), you can reach me at frankengfx@gmail.com

I'm always interested in business proposals (or even job openings, if only part-time) for work on games and dare say i've got a pretty good and technical grip on what can be done graphically on the NES and its various cartridge variations.

Some recent samples from the last year:

NES Graphics:
1, 2, 3, 4,
5, 6, 7, 8,
9, 10, 11.

I'd like to think i'm decent doing NES music and preparing materials for the printer as well.
Example music:
Horse without name.
Epyx

Post by Epyx »

pubby wrote:Is this contract work or not? Only paying royalties would be kind of a joke.
It completely depends on what you actually do! We are happy to pay people for their work and have done on several projects already, some people prefer to get higher royalty based payments instead. But either way it's negotiable.

The bottom line is you will get paid and this will be fully above board with legal contracts and agreements.
Epyx

Post by Epyx »

FrankenGraphics wrote:If you need a graphics artist who can carefully condition your assets/IP for any portations you want to make for the NES (potentially other platforms too), you can reach me at frankengfx@gmail.com

I'm always interested in business proposals (or even job openings, if only part-time) for work on games and dare say i've got a pretty good and technical grip on what can be done graphically on the NES and its various cartridge variations.

Some recent samples from the last year:

NES Graphics:
1, 2, 3, 4,
5, 6, 7, 8,
9, 10, 11.

I'd like to think i'm decent doing NES music and preparing materials for the printer as well.
Example music:
Horse without name.
Great stuff! Some top work work there, exactly the kind of standard we are looking for!

Obviously if you can find a programmer to work with even better, but otherwise I will keep you in mind for art and music.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

I love Jumpman Jr.

I wrote a game last year that was partly inspired by Jumpman.

https://youtu.be/b-jt1OVkPbo

I would be happy to port games to the NES, but I am obligated to another large project for the rest of this year. If you can wait till next year, I could.

Don't forget to post over at the Brewery forum at NintendoAge. Some of the programmers there don't visit here very often.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Thanks! :)
epyx wrote:Obviously if you can find a programmer to work with even better, but otherwise I will keep you in mind for art and music.
I'm currently working with a few, on and off this site which i would recommend, so that might be a possibility, depending on their interest/availability. I'm sure they'll chime in here or through PM:s if so/i'll forward the link to those who might not frequent nesdev that much.

There's also still others on here and a few more on NintendoAge i'd definitely would work with given the opportunity. There's lots of talented devs here.
dougeff

Post by dougeff »

After reviewing your games...I definitely owned Pitstop and World Karate, and my cousin had California Games (the first one).
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES
OmegaMax

Post by OmegaMax »

Epyx wrote:
Well one of the formats we really want to support is the NES!
What other formats "retro machines" are being considered?Do you have a website with information.
Epyx

Post by Epyx »

dougeff wrote:I love Jumpman Jr.

I wrote a game last year that was partly inspired by Jumpman.

https://youtu.be/b-jt1OVkPbo

I would be happy to port games to the NES, but I am obligated to another large project for the rest of this year. If you can wait till next year, I could.

Don't forget to post over at the Brewery forum at NintendoAge. Some of the programmers there don't visit here very often.
That looks awesome! I can wait, not a problem, good luck with your current project.

I'll post over at NintendoAge too, I wasn't aware of that forum, thanks.
Epyx

Post by Epyx »

OmegaMax wrote:
Epyx wrote:
Well one of the formats we really want to support is the NES!
What other formats "retro machines" are being considered?Do you have a website with information.
The website is being worked on, we only purchased Epyx quite recently and we are the same company that is just about to launch The C64 Mini so we have a hell of a lot going on right now.

We already have games being worked on for the Atari Jaguar, Sega Dreamcast, Atari Lynx, Sega Mega Drive, TurboGrafx, Commodore 64, ZX Spectrum, Mobile, Steam and ColecoVision.

We are very much looking for people to code games for the Sega Master System, Atari 2600, Nintendo NES, Super Nintendo, Atari 7800, Nintendo Game Boy, Atari 8-bit and Commodore Amiga.

So anything goes really!
calima

Post by calima »

I used to play Chip's Challenge on Win 3.11 :D

I'll forward the link to Mega Cat folks. They can do NES, SNES, Genesis and GBA, maybe others; from programming to art to music. I'm working with them on retro projects.
Epyx

Post by Epyx »

calima wrote:I used to play Chip's Challenge on Win 3.11 :D

I'll forward the link to Mega Cat folks. They can do NES, SNES, Genesis and GBA, maybe others; from programming to art to music. I'm working with them on retro projects.
Sounds great! I hope to hear back very soon!
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

Hello.

I represent a small studio with more than 10 years of experience creating a releasing games for various obsolete platforms. We might have some stuff which could be of interest. Can we get in touch?

Thank you.
Epyx

Post by Epyx »

na_th_an wrote:Hello.

I represent a small studio with more than 10 years of experience creating a releasing games for various obsolete platforms. We might have some stuff which could be of interest. Can we get in touch?

Thank you.
If you represent the Mojon Twins then I am very familiar indeed with your work and would love to work with you as your games are excellent.

I will shoot you a PM with my email address.