It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: FCEUX on Mac?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:55 am 

Hi again,
There is a way to use FCEUX on Mac? I'm searching on google without any good result, any idea to run FCEUX on Mac? I don't want to install virtual machine to run Windows. Thank a lot!

Post subject: Re: FCEUX on Mac?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:49 am 

If you install homebrew (https://brew.sh/) you should be able to install it.

If you are a dev, you should install homebrew on your mac since all those tools are available this way (cc65, fceux, vim 8.x+ etc).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:01 am 

Is there any particular reason that you want to use that emulator?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:08 am 

Yes, I need the debugging tools, especially the Ram Viewer. Why? There are some other solution? Currently I'm using visual studio for Mac and nestopia, but I really need a debugger at this point of my project. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:14 am 

For debugging, you need FCEUX (Windows), not FCEUX (SDL). This means you need Wine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:53 pm 

kikutano wrote:
Yes, I need the debugging tools, especially the Ram Viewer. Why? There are some other solution? Currently I'm using visual studio for Mac and nestopia, but I really need a debugger at this point of my project. :)

Can you test Nintaco on Mac? It should have the debugging tools that you need.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:13 pm 

If you need debugging then the brew version will not do (you are right Tepples, it's the sdl version). I was only using it since I could run it easily from the command line and it was the one installed on my computer at the time.

For debugging, I was using nintendulator through wine launched from my makefile. Now I see that Nintaco is java based so I will try it once I have a chance. The other one left to test is mesen (didn't have a chance to test it yet), but I think it doesn't have a mac version. I will try it with wine once I have a chance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:54 pm 

Banshaku wrote:
The other one left to test is mesen (didn't have a chance to test it yet), but I think it doesn't have a mac version. I will try it with wine once I have a chance.
If you do, please let me know how it turns out. I *think* Wine has DX11 support these days, and I believe it's also able to run .NET stuff? But maybe that is not widely available yet. You might be able to get it to start with the "-novideo" command line option if DX11 is the problem. If DX11 is the only thing stopping it from working in Wine on macOS, I'll happily make a Windows build that uses SDL instead of DX11 just to make it work on macs :p

(That said, I can probably test this out on my own in a Linux VM now that I think about it...)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:23 pm 

@Sour

I will see if I can try it tonight, once I'm back home. As for the linux version, is it trough wine or you have to compile it manually? The site doesn't mention much about it except for the requirements.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:51 pm 

The Linux version runs natively on Mono+SDL2 (well, assuming you consider Mono to be native). The releases (which are a .NET executable) contain the 32 & 64-bit versions of the emulation core built on Ubuntu 16, which should be able to run on a good chunk of Linux setups. You might have to compile it on your own to get it to run on some systems, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:26 pm 

Ok, thanks! I will try Nintaco and the others with Wine and I will give you some feedback! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:53 pm 

zeroone wrote:
kikutano wrote:

Can you test Nintaco on Mac? It should have the debugging tools that you need.

Wow! This work's great! Thank you! It have all the tools that I need to debug. Amazing! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:53 am 

@zeroone

It works fine on mac but I had issues with the keyboard on xubuntu 18.04. My guess is rights for jinput, like you mentioned in the faw, but since I was at work, I was not able to test as much as I wanted :lol:

@Sour

On linux (xubuntu 18.04) with wine at first it was failing because of mono was missing. Didn't know how to installed it so I tried to install .net 4.6+ with winetricks. It started after that "but" the buffer that show the resulting screen was extremely small for no specific reason. The frame for the window was fine but the buffer was smaller than the windows. Quite a strange bug. My guess is the current .net framework inside wine is not installed properly and causing issue. I need to figure out with mono only.

On the mac, I'm using wine 3.0.1 but it didn't start, even with the option you mentioned. Now I'm trying to install mono through brew but I'm not sure if it is supposed to be installed through wine or at the OS level. The only time I used wine on mac was with an already made package like PLayOnMac or something like that but I was not able to launch a program on the command line with parameters so I decided to install it with brew instead.

One mono is finished to installed (it's been building for more than 40 minutes), I will let you know the result. the current error was:

Code:
wine Mesen.exe
/vagrant/mono/mono/metadata/threadpool-worker-default.c:213: Failed to gen random bytes (-2146893801) assembly:<unknown assembly> type:<unknown type> member:<none>

abnormal program termination
0009:err:mscoree:expect_no_runtimes Process exited with a Mono runtime loaded.

edit:

mono finished to compile and the same error occurs. It's 1h30 in the morning so I will have to continue my test tomorrow night. I will let you know if I find anything. My guess is wine is not configured properly for mono.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:43 am 

On xubuntu, you should essentially only need to install a few packages (e.g with apt-get) to run it: mono-complete and libsdl2-2.0
Then you can run it with, e.g: "mono Mesen.exe". Wine isn't needed on Linux.

On macOS, it looks like your error is implying that Wine is trying to use Mono to run the code? In that case, the code will try to load the Linux libraries, rather than the Windows DLLs - I imagine that Wine would probably have issues with that (since it's not meant for running Linux binaries on macOS). You might have better luck installing the .NET 4.5 under Wine and having Wine use the .NET DLLs rather than Mono to run .NET code, if that's possible.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:46 pm 

Oh, didn't know about that one. I'm so used to start windows applications (win32/.net) with wine that I didn't know/remember that you could launch them with the runtime direcetly. I just tried it and it seems to working properly now. I should try with one of my old app too to, see if it's more stable :lol:

What is left is on mac only. I will try to install .net but for some reason I have issues with winetricks that seems to fail with the brew version. If I figure out something and will let you know the results.