How much have changed regarding editor/ide?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

gauauu

Re: How much have changed regarding editor/ide?

Post by gauauu »

rainwarrior wrote: I would say that Python has become a very important supplementary tool for me. It's very convenient for processing scripts, e.g. feeding debug symbols to FCEUX, building music data...
Absolutely. I can't recommend this highly enough. Python (or any similar quick scripting language: Perl, PHP, Ruby, etc) will make your life so much easier. Being able to work with your assets (level data, graphics, enemy data, etc) in an easy-to-read/write format, then automatically convert them at build time, is incredibly important for a good development workflow.
rainwarrior

Post by rainwarrior »

In 2007 I would have written a C++ program for those cases instead of a Python one, but now that I'm familiar with Python it's way better for quick internal stuff that doesn't have to be robust; especially for the huge amount of modern-purpose libraries it has convenient access to, and lots of built in functionality for things like string parsing, etc.
na_th_an

Post by na_th_an »

I use Sublime Text 3. Couldn't live without it! It has great extensions to work with C and markdown, and there's 6502 syntax highlighting too :-)
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

in 2007 all my data was saved in XML and today now JSON is the norm. I would have never touched python on windows but now this less an issue and the linux subsystem does help for those tools.

I did start to write my editor but never finished. Maybe in another 10 years I will have some progess on it, who knows? :lol:

@FrankenGraphics

I included a screenshot of my current color theme that I use with my new C project. It mixes files from my older and new project just to give an example out the color syntax looks like. I use a font that reminds me of my dos days.
Attachments
current_theme_example.png
Rahsennor

Post by Rahsennor »

lots of people wrote:vim
lidnariq wrote:emacs
*dives for cover*

I'm using Mousepad. The only feature I can't live without is unlimited undo/redo.
NovaSquirrel

Post by NovaSquirrel »

When I wanted to balance the shop prices in Nova the Squirrel and wanted to know how many coins were in an average level, getting a printout of the information I needed ended up only being like 10 short lines of Python. That's what really sold me on using Python for NESdev purposes.

I'd say scripting languages like that are also very useful for lookup table generation, with how important that is for many NES things.
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

Rahsennor wrote:*dives for cover*

I'm using Mousepad. The only feature I can't live without is unlimited undo/redo.
Let's the holy war begins! :lol:

Mousepad is quite useful actually. I found it while using xfce and use it every day for many small tasks. The fact that it has tabs is a plus.

@NovaSquirrel

I didn't use it yet for nesdev, mostly for work but the creation of quick data is useful, like you mentioned. Before I would have dome some quick hack in c# in a winForm and would have wasted so much time over a trivial task.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

Python is kind of handy, its good for small quick stuff and for testing dumped RAM to make sure things are doing what they should be doing. However for anything I tend to depend on long term, c# I find is a better alternative. It is easier to maintain and the debugger is better with edit'n'continue which makes it a better pay off for more complex things over time. But for a simple split these words into lo,hi tables Python all the way.
Its not really a new thing, BASIC 2.0 on a C64 was used for the same purpose. Python is just the new BASIC, in 2007 I would have just used VBS, I still have some 'tools' written in VBS that I use...
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

@Oziphantom

The debugger for visual studio is quite good and I liked it for vs2008 but now 2017 community is so heavy on my dinosaur that I don't know how much impact it would have for C# (when starting to debug/run C++ projects it is quite slow). I'm used to .net 2 so I guess it must have changed so much that I wouldn't recognize the language any more :lol:
Jarhmander
Formerly ~J-@D!~

Post by Jarhmander »

Banshaku wrote:It seems vim is very popular. I guess I should earn to use it a little bit more. I'm so used to the mouse these days that the vim paradigm, although interesting, is hard to get used unless you know enough commands.
:set mouse=a

Tada, you can use the mouse. You'll get more speed from knowing vim's motions, but using the mouse is a nice crutch.
((λ (x) (x x)) (λ (x) (x x)))
Banshaku

Post by Banshaku »

I just tested it, it put it in visual mode. It could come in handy in some situation but by mouse control I meant more an editor with contextual menu. It just became an habit since the rise of ide under windows.

I remember the time when we didn't have those thing, no intellisense or context menu under dos. That was the time when I used turbo pascal, turbo c or qb45. It was great for the time. Now we are too spoiled with all those gadgets they give with their ide :lol: I need to learn vim someday, would love to. Thanks for the tip!