It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:30 pm 

Hey all, this isn't my first time posting here but I've never posted much and it's been over a year, so feel free to treat me like a noob.

Basically, last year I embarked on learning NES programming using NESASM, reading the Nerdy Nights tutorial and working from there. Well life happened and I set that aside, and over the last month or so I've picked it back up. I've had a creative itch I've needed to soothe for a few years now, and have always wanted to create my own game.

My problem is that I'm a technical guy. I can't say I'm a programming expert by any means, but I'm confident I'll get there with practice. I have an Electrical Engineering degree and pick up on technical aspects pretty quickly. But when it comes to anything artistic I'm pretty lame.

I've got what I think is a decent start on a game engine (in the early stages but intended to be a platformer), and I followed a sound tutorial to do a basic sound engine. But when it comes to writing songs, or coming up with basic graphics, I'm struggling.

If I'm in the wrong part of the forum for this let me know, but basically what I'm saying is I'd like to collaborate with somebody stronger on the artistic side. I'm not looking to do a commercial project, this is more of a hobby for me, but I'd like to submit something for the NESdev competition this year or maybe next year.

If anyone is interested or can point me to somebody please let me know. Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:23 pm 

Well, most of us have the same problems (not having all the skills to single handedly make a great game)

Probably you should visit a music forum (such as famitracker forum) and search for a chiptune musician.

And, then search for a pixel artist somewhere. Maybe Twitter or Reddit or something.

And, you should probably have a cool game idea, that you can get people interested in being a part of.

Then you just need to do the "easy" part, programming and designing a game.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:36 pm 
Formerly WheelInventor

We're a few artists and composers here, but most active users are more on the technical side, like yourself. There are a few collaborations between nesdev users but most programmers seem to find their artists externally since there's so few of us here, i think.

(my plate is full for the foreseeable time, unfortunately).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:41 pm 

Thanks for the input Doug.

I had the thought of looking specifically for artists for the music and graphics. I just thought I'd check here first since I'm really looking to do this casually as a hobby and am hoping to find someone(s) looking to do the same. In other words I'm not out to make money and paying someone to help me may be a little much, though it isn't out of the question either.

As far as the cool game idea...I've got some background story for a platform-type game thought up, and though the story will drive the artwork to an extent, it will be an iterative process where the artwork will also drive the story, if that makes sense. As it is though, the story is that the main character, who I am calling Bob, has his beloved pet turtle, Sergio, kidnapped by evil lizard people as part of their plan to sacrifice the poor turtle to their god in order to gain power to rule the world.

I wasn't on any drugs when I came up with that story.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:54 pm 

That sounds sort of like the opening of Blaster Master, except with a frog instead of a turtle.

Now Dr. Mario, there's some drugs involved.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:00 pm 
Formerly WheelInventor

Maybe you can get an IRL acquintance interested? Suggest a cup of coffee, have try NESST and see what happens.

Someone might chime in here. But also good to try other places. The famitracker forums would be my first stop for a composer who might be interested.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:44 pm 

I've talked with a couple of IRL acquaintances, but truth be told the arty people that I know just aren't really into the idea.

I found a pixel art forum and posted a message there. Maybe someone will be interested. I mentioned the possibility of payment but I definitely want to gauge how much work like that costs so I can decide how much I want to invest in a project that I'm doing as a hobby.

I'll definitely have to check out the famitracker forums next.

Still, if anyone sees this here and is interested, let me know.