Basic fade in or out of a palette

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Re: Basic fade in or out of a palette

Post by FrankenGraphics »

For future reference: A discussion on compatibility with playchoice, RGB PPU mods, etc, started in the second half of Pokuns' post here, following after i posted an example of a way to achieve a very smooth but narrowly ranged fade.
The example also shows that you can get more 'natural' feeling fades if you draw colours towards the cold spectrum the darker it gets.

(emphasis bits can also be used to achieve an overall smoother fade, but with similar compatibily issues with the same systems mentioned - the most straightforward method is to darken palettes every other frame, and toggle all emphasis bits on/off each frame. There's a more noticeable partial desaturation effect for the brightest colors. If it looks good or not may vary from case to case. If they're mainly used as highlights - probably not a problem then).

These things fall outside the the request for basic methods mentioned in the thread title, but i’d also not consider them particularily advanced.
Banshaku

Re: Basic fade in or out of a palette

Post by Banshaku »

Based on everyone comments and the sample code from rainwarrior I was able to wip up a simple 4 step fade-in with a 4 frame delay and it's working well. I first I didn't click until I touched the code and realized what the $30, $20, $10 meant ^^;;; This is enough for my current prototype and I will be able to made a fade out right away and improve it later if necessary with all the example I received.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!