Doubling the speed in "Soccer"

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

rainwarrior

Re: Doubling the speed in "Soccer"

Post by rainwarrior »

I would gladly do hacks for adequate pay. ($5 is ridiculous.) Doubling the speed of a game is probably something that would very expensive, though, can't possibly be worth it.
Jedi QuestMaster

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

How much time / $ / :beer: do you think this would take?

Any offers anyone?
Fiskbit

Post by Fiskbit »

In Journey to Silius (U), try changing $1D1FB (headered address) from AD5301F005 to A9108D5301. Took about 2 to 3 minutes with the information you had posted in that thread (writing this post has taken longer). I first looked for where the variables were written and saw that they're just written during more general RAM initialization at the start. I then looked at how they're read and saw this code here. I tried removing the branch, which wasn't good enough, so I just changed it to set the mode to the boss (and removed the branch). Seems to work fine and the change makes sense given the information you posted and a quick glance at the following code. Can't guarantee it'll work past the last boss, but you get what you pay for.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Jedi QuestMaster wrote:How much time / $ / :beer: do you think this would take?

Any offers anyone?
As a romhacker, the problem with romhacking is that the only reason the romhacker does this is because:
1) He has real passion for the game he's hacking and know very well how it works internally
2) He somehow has the technical knownledge and ability to do what he aims to do

None of this can be compensated with cash or beers. For example I never hacked any SNES games (outside of a few extremely simple graphical hacks) because my knowledge of that system is very superficial. So this is why all my hacks happens to be on either the NES or the GBA platform - that's because I know those systems well and I actually am able to do hacks with those systems. I got recently a request about a hack idea for the GB/GBC platform, and I was like - man your idea is very good but I know *nothing* technical about those systems so I'd have to do all research from scratch - so why don't you do this yourself if you have the motivation ? It's not that this idea was bad - on the other side it was excellent but I just don't feel like doing major research on a system or game like that anymore. It's this kind of stuff that you do without even planning to, just out of curiousity.

So that's why it's extremely unlikely ayone is going to hack Soccer or Journey to Silius for other people - you'd need to be passionate about both those games and about the system they're on in order to be able to do anything meaningful.
Fisher

Post by Fisher »

Bregalad just said with other words what Lidnariq said here, citing ccovell's image:
VennDiagram.png
@DRW, Good luck with your project!

Edited for better credits.
Last edited by Fisher on Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Give credit where credit is due, that's ccovell's image. :P