It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:59 pm 

This is my "what if F-zero or Mario Kart were made in 1985" idea. About 1 year of planning and about 2 days of actual programming.

https://youtu.be/vn7xwTau7s0

I was only able to calculate half of the road per frame... and still have enough frame left to play music and move some sprites (later). It would probably look better with a much bigger racetrack.

Edit, changed title.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:37 pm 

Interesting! Reminds me of this: https://youtu.be/7Nw3OL4-tw4

But the resolution is way too low... Do you think you can improve it and still have it run smoothly?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:20 pm 

I was going to do a second pass over the data and do a "smoothing", and that pass could put edges as well... but I don't think I have the processing time. Currently it takes a (worse case scenario) 200 scanlines to process 1/2 of the picture.

I would have to drop down to 15 fps to do much more.

Unrelated, I could make a nice scrolling text demo, or scrolling logo / title screen with this method.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:27 pm 

What frame rate does F-FF run at?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:31 pm 

I hate to be negative when criticising, especailly after all the effort you put into this project. However this really looks awful. Rendering is inapropriate for racers as it's way too slow. Simulate a pre-rendered road by distorting it is the standard way to do it. Look at Rad Racer, it actually looks quite good and convincing. I was expecting something like that when I clicked on the link. So yeah... that's what a Mario Kart or F-Zero would have looked like on the NES.

Sure Rad Racer uses the MMC1, which is a "special chip", but actually it doesn't use much of the chip, and it uses it mainly for extra memory, so if the game was single-level it could have fitted a NROM cart easily. For a NROM racer from 1985, look at F1-Race (the road is only distorted horizontally, not vertically, as it probably wasn't understood how to do this with the NES at this date).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:37 pm 

Yeah, but we already have seen dozens of instances of using raster effects to fake 3d.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:39 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
Simulate a pre-rendered road by distorting it is the standard way to do it.

The standard way is also the boring way. I'd rather see something unique, even if it doesn't look great.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:27 pm 

I thought it looked great. I mean, afaik dougeff isn't an artist, I'm talking about the programming of the thing. It looks like real mode 7, at low resolution, ok.

I think one improvement that may be simple to add is to add different tiles depending on depth (screen y coordinate, really). It can be used to simulate distance.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:41 pm 

tepples wrote:
What frame rate does F-FF run at?

30 FPS for 1 player, 20 for 2 players

Quote:
I think one improvement that may be simple to add is to add different tiles depending on depth (screen y coordinate, really). It can be used to simulate distance.

Oh yeah and attributes + a few palettes are trivial for this effect too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:56 pm 

dougeff wrote:
This is my "what if F-zero or Mario Kart were made in 1985" idea. About 1 year of planning and about 2 days of actual programming.
https://youtu.be/vn7xwTau7s0

That looks a bit blocky.
If you are already overloading the CPU with 16x16 "pixels" then I am wondering if you are using loads of multiplications or divisions per pixel?
Essentially, a scanline should be rendered by computing the x/y source steps, and then reading the source data with that steps (ie. using only step additions for the source coordinates, no multiplications or divisions within scanlines).
For the separate lines, I think you could re-use the same x/y steps, multiplied by a scaling factor for the distance. So there isn't too much complicated maths required, the main bottleneck would be reading source pixels, merging them to bitplanes, and writing to VRAM.
When using a huge ROM you could store the source data as uncompressed bitmap with 1 byte per pixel - of course that would have been expensive in 1985, and the required bank switching could also slowdown things, so you might find a better & cheaper way.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:23 pm 

Quote:
16x16

8x8. It just doesn't use the whole screen. The final picture is 20x20 tiles. I tried 22, but it was too slow.

Quote:
loads of multiplications or divisions per pixel

Pre calculated LUT of sine and cosine for every 3° at 10 different distances. Each pixel is added to a base x,y (2 16-bit adds), and then indexed on a map.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:01 pm 

dougeff wrote:
Pre calculated LUT of sine and cosine for every 3° at 10 different distances. Each pixel is added to a base x,y (2 16-bit adds), and then indexed on a map.

I have considered doing floor casting that way in my raycaster, but combined with wall texturing that would've been insanely slow. So I settled for blocky floors instead, because instead of doing calculations for every screen pixel, I only need calculations between block boundaries in the map.

If you don't need too much detail on the floor (based on your test map it doesn't look like you do), you might be able to get away with checking only grid boundaries too. That should result in a decent speed bump, probably enough to increase the resolution.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:33 pm 

No, I meant 16x16 tiles, aka 16x16 low-resolution pixels. Oh, or is it even 20x20? Excluding the sky, that would be 20x10, or 200 pixels per frame.
So you would need 400 additions, and indexing for 200 pixels and a few dozen multiplications per frame.
I think you could reach maybe around 100 frames per second at that resolution.
But the framerate would drop rapidly when increasing the resolution, unless you drop the per pixel texturing.
With filled shapes you might get similar quality as what you have now, but at much higher resolution.

Not sure about NES, but home computers did have some 3D games, like Elite, Mercenary, Driller. And I think there's also Doom for the Spectrum.
The advantage on NES is that it's about twice as fast as C64, so I am wondering if it could render some impressive graphics at not so bad framerate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:42 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

I think this is pretty cool! Honestly, the resolution is enough for it to be playable. If you somehow can get it up or smooth the edges with diagonal boundary tiles to make it seem like it has better resolution (the smoothing doesn't need to be meticulous either as long as it doesn't lie about the position of the boundary too much), that's a bonus. But you could probably work with this.

The obvious advantage of this method is that you can create tracks very freely, including sharp turns and intersecting paths. It offers something you can't do for the game design with raster effects alone.

It could also work for maze crawlers and tank games (with seethrough walls). I mean you could simply avoid the natural ideal and go for something more TRON-y, or assume the player has a birds eye viewpoint above hedges/walls.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:15 am 

Surprised not a single person here has mentioned RoadBlasters from Tengen/Beam Software. Like Rad Racer, it also uses MMC1 (in this case, 128KB PRG + 128KB CHR). I'm going off of memory so there's a large chance I'm remembering things wrong, but I think it used precisely-timed PPU writes and reads and/or certain bits in in HBlank, combined with palette cycling and a lot of CHR swapping to give the impression of road movement, plus providing a horizon. There's similarities in the implementation model to Rad Racer and Rad Racer 2, but the result is a lot more impressive given all the other stuff going on. Consider that it's an arcade port as well (and yes, the surrounding environment does have that palette cycling effect even on the arcade).

If you haven't played this game (or at least checked it our in general), I recommend doing so.