It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:49 pm 

Celius wrote:
Was A1-A4 on S2 screwed up?

Edit: Umm, something's wrong with the colors... $3F is showing up mint green, and some other colors are not really close at all to what they're supposed to be. In the newest Nintendulator, that is. I tried a couple of ROMs. They were all homebrew, but they didn't look like that before.

Try fixing your palette settings - it's probably using a VS palette by mistake (as an artifact of me reorganizing the settings a few months while ago).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:05 pm 

It was, thanks. Hey, did you put a JPEG type effect over the screen? It used to be really defined, but now it's like FCEUXD, where it looks like a JPEG screenshot. It's not bad, I'm just wondering if that's the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:10 pm 

I moved the graphics buffer from system memory to video memory in order to improve performance; however, this has the side effect of turning on bilinear filtering (i.e. 'smoothing' the image when you stretch it), and there's no way to turn it off within DirectDraw 7.0.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:40 pm 

You can implement support for software pixel doubling filters such as Scale2x and hq2x, and then put in a software nearest-neighbor pixel doubler at the same time. VisualBoyAdvance uses this technique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:37 pm 

Doubling pixels in software quadruples the amount of data sent to the video card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:47 am 

And modern video cards handle this amount of data just fine. We're up to, what, 8X AGP?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:18 am 

I dislike filters such as Scale2x, hq3x, and probably partially because I lack understanding why many people do like them. They don't compare well to my mental image of (NES) games, especially on in-game backdrops and sprites, makes me think of bad Flash games created by teenagers who grew up with post-8bit-generation videogames. Though I do think they can look good on titlescreens and text.

example: http://mednafen.com/screenshots/hq2x.png Mario looks plain wrong, but the upscaled titlescreen graphic and text don't annoy me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:24 am 

Support for software upscaling also paves the way for emulation of the PPU's NTSC modulator and the TV's demodulator, like Nestopia, for proper colors in Blaster Master.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:30 am 

tepples wrote:
And modern video cards handle this amount of data just fine. We're up to, what, 8X AGP?

I think blargg was hinting that quadrupling the data sent to the video card is harder on CPU usage. Not really that it's hard on the video card (even really old video cards can handle a 640x480 display surface -- that's not the issue).

Software stretching (even nearest neighbor) is slow. Sending the 1x scale image to the video card and having it do the stretching is much, much faster.

As for the side-effect of filtering when doing hardware stretching, this is often an option which is enabled/disabled by messing with your video settings. Right-click on desktop | Properties | Settings tab | Advanced and look around for such an option. I typically disable all forms of automatic filtering and antialiasing and leave it up to the program to determine which modes are best.