It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:03 pm 

Yes it does. Because of this, I doubt it has the expansion lines on controller 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

tepples wrote:
I'd rather find a way to use a PS/2 keyboard, perhaps with a PIC in the middle to translate protocols.

This works on Squeedo (it's how the cart's menu is operated, actually). You just run a terminal program on PC, and the PIC buffers up to 256 bytes and gives it to the NES with IRQs. Of course it's just ASCII-format this way, but I imagine a custom PC program could handle all the keys in a similar way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

Quietust wrote:
Jagasian wrote:
The Family Basic Keyboard had an audio port for a tape drive that could be used to save digital data via modulation. Do any emulators even support this feature? What games actually used it?

I seem to recall that Excitebike uses it for its "custom track" stuff. The Family Basic cartridges almost definitely used it.

I think Lode Runner and Wrecking Crew used it also. And Mach Rider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:38 pm 

Is there some error on the 8x10 matrix on the Family Keyboard page? Because it seems that my PoultrySoft Word program (The equivelent to Microsoft Word, just on the NES) proves it. If I type J, it puts K, if I type H, it puts J. That's not all, because if you look at the grid on the page, K is right above J, and J is right above H. It like everything on the first half (column) of the 2 dimensional grid is one line down than what it should be. Once I applied changes that took out the first half of the second row on the table, and moved everything up a line on that half, it worked just fine. I had similiar problems in my previous attempt at making this program. This is hard to explain I'm sorry, but do you know what I mean?

EDIT: I think that A1-A4 on S2 on the grid should be at S0, not S2. So everything A1-A4 S3 should be S2, S4 should be S3, S5 should be S4, etc. I think that's a little more understandable than what I was saying before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:49 pm 

Before you accuse that document of being incorrect, you should first test your Family Keyboard emulation with a ROM that uses it natively (such as Family Basic) to make sure it works properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:56 pm 

I was just saying that, because I think I have evidence that proves it to be so. I may be wrong, I know. I have my code storing the status of $4017 20 times in $20-$33 ($20 is A1-A4 S1, $21 is B1-B4 S1, $22 is A1-A4 S2, etc.). When I press F8, $20 and $32 change, not $20 and $22, which should be the case if the document is correct. I know I COULD be doing something incorrectly, but I really really do not think that is the case. Everything B1-B4 in the document is fine, but just that part I think might be incorrect.

EDIT: Sorry, I had a typo. I said $20 and $34 change. It was $20 and $32. And I have it set up so $4017s status goes from $20-$33, not $20-$34.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:25 pm 

Simple test - run Family Basic (2.0, 2.1, or 3.0) and try typing some text. If it shows up correctly, there's an error in your test ROM. If it shows up incorrectly, there's an error in your keyboard emulation code.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:32 pm 

Did you mean vice versa? It doesn't really make sense how you said it...

The one I have is from rom hustler, and it came with 5 different ones. One has this computer screen with a bunch of colors flashing all over the place, and one has a kind of DOS startup looking thing. Which one's the actual thing? And there's a line that says "Kasetto no bakkappu suichi o OFF ni shite kudasai". Does that translate to "Please turn the backup switch OFF"? I'm not really sure what to do here, because I've never really dealt with this game, if you call it that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:08 am 

Quote:
That'd be great, as a Family Basic Keyboard is hard to come by. But there is a catch. The Family Basic Keyboard had an audio port for a tap drive that could be used to save digital data via modulation. Do any emulators even support this feature? What games actually used it?

Latest version of Famtasia supports tapedrive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:46 am 

Celius wrote:
The one I have is from rom hustler, and it came with 5 different ones. One has this computer screen with a bunch of colors flashing all over the place, and one has a kind of DOS startup looking thing. Which one's the actual thing? And there's a line that says "Kasetto no bakkappu suichi o OFF ni shite kudasai". Does that translate to "Please turn the backup switch OFF"? I'm not really sure what to do here, because I've never really dealt with this game, if you call it that.

I discovered that when it prints that message, it's actually complaining that it can't write to SRAM at $6000-$7FFF - evidently, it has a memory protection switch on it. Family Basic is one of the few "mapper 0" games that actually needs to have PRG RAM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:47 pm 

I think it may have worked in the past when I changed it to Mapper 1, and enabled SRAM. I think, at least.

Edit: Yeah, that was all my fault about the shift thing. Works fine. I was checking if a certain read of $4017 was the one that meant left shift, and only left shift was pressed. Not a good plan, beings as if anything else in that read is pressed, it will act like shift isn't pressed. So yeah, that was dumb.

Edit 2: What the heck! The left shift won't work in Nintendulator! help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:29 am 

The key mapping in Nintendulator is a bit non-standard - when I get a chance, I'll update the keyboard Configuration to at least show the default key mappings (and possibly allow customizing it, though that'll take a bit of work).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:01 pm 

It'd be nice if it at least showed which keys are which on the Family Keyboard. Is left shift not left shift on the FK? If not, then... You should make it so it is. I think customizing it would be good. You should place a diagram where you can just customize it, but a diagram below showing which squares are which keys. In FCEUXD, they show just a diagram with key numbers on it, and I don't know which squares are which keys. I have to go search on google images for pictures of the family keyboard to see which square matches which key, and it's annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:27 pm 

I've uploaded a new build of my emulator with 2 changes:
1. Family Basic Keyboard [Config] now shows the layout in relation to a 104-key US keyboard (with Windows and App keys)
2. A bunch of keys (left shift, Graph, underscore) actually WORK properly now - I had originally folowed Goroh's document, and it incorrectly listed several bits as being mapped to multiple keys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:32 pm 

Was A1-A4 on S2 screwed up?

Edit: Umm, something's wrong with the colors... $3F is showing up mint green, and some other colors are not really close at all to what they're supposed to be. In the newest Nintendulator, that is. I tried a couple of ROMs. They were all homebrew, but they didn't look like that before.

Yeah, the colors are very off, Tetris's background is white, and it's all pink and ugly. But I really like the new features added (Well, I really like 2 features added..) I like full screen mode. I played in FCEUXD all the time because of it's full screen mode, but now I think I'll be playing in Nintendulator!

Oh, and keyboard emulation is great! Thanks!

Last edited by Celius on Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.