It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:16 am 

I've made an example of writing the background of an entire room. Here's the relevant code and nes file which doesn't do anything other than display the background:

If you were making a game that consists of rooms like this, is this a good way of storing and writing backgrounds?

Do folks write backgrounds in different ways? Maybe for different layouts, like side-scrollers?

Thanks to rainwarrior for the starter code!

Last edited by ericandrewlewis on Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:09 am 

This is ok for a very small game. A larger game would prefer some kind of compression.

I have an issue with your palette code. The universal background color has mirrors, so writing to (for example) 3f10 would change it.

So the simple fix would be to do a 33rd write, just after you palette code, which would be 3f20, another mirror for the BG color.

LDA palette ;get the 0th color
STA $2007

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:40 pm 

dougeff wrote:
This is ok for a very small game. A larger game would prefer some kind of compression.

Yeah, this is data is heavy at 960 bytes. Seems like run-length encoding could bring this down significantly.

dougeff wrote:
I have an issue with your palette code. The universal background color has mirrors, so writing to (for example) 3f10 would change it.

So the simple fix would be to do a 33rd write, just after you palette code, which would be 3f20, another mirror for the BG color.

LDA palette ;get the 0th color
STA $2007

The palette loop writes the palette definition into the PPU at $3f00-$3f1f. The definition includes duplicate values ($0f) for the background memory address $3f00 as well as each of its mirror addresses. So $0f is written to $3f00 as well as $3f04, $3f08, $3f0c, $3f10, $3f14, $3f18, and $3f1c.

Is this bad? What would the affect of writing this value to $3f20 be, if the original and mirrors have all been written to the same?

I do notice this in the PPU palettes wiki page:

Le Wiki wrote:
A symptom of not having implemented this correctly in an emulator is the sky being black in Super Mario Bros., which writes the backdrop color through $3F10.

but I'm not sure I understand what that means. Is writing to $3f10, $3f14, $3f18, and $3f1c dangerous even if it's the same universal background color?

Thanks for taking a look!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:23 pm 

Writes to $3F14, $3F18, and $3F1C have no effect under normal display conditions. Writes to $3F10 will overwrite $3F00, so if you write both, the one written last takes precedence.