It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: A simple optimization
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:10 am 

I'm sure this has probably been covered before, but wanted to share anyway.

I was analyzing my code to see what routines were using the most cycles overall. I was surprised to see that one of my most cycle hungry routines was just a simple loop I was using to clear out my shadow OAM before reloading sprite data into it:

Code:
   LDX #0
   LDA #$FE
   .Loop:
      STA spriteTable, X
      INX
      BNE .Loop

RTS

I wanted to see if I could reduce the amount of cycles used here, and tried the following instead:

Code:
   LDX #31
   LDA #$FE
   .Loop:
      STA spriteTable, X
      STA spriteTable + 32, X
      STA spriteTable + 64, X
      STA spriteTable + 96, X
      STA spriteTable + 128, X
      STA spriteTable + 160, X
      STA spriteTable + 192, X
      STA spriteTable + 224, X
      DEX
      BPL .Loop

RTS

I was really surprised to see that this uses roughly half as many cycles, for just a handful of extra bytes of code. I understood in theory that a loop which makes 256 comparisons would take more cycles that a loop that only makes 32, but I had never actually tried it and looked at the difference in speed.

I know this is probably old-hat to many of you, but I'm excited about it. it's enough of a difference to visibly reduce lag in some areas, and I'm very pleased with it.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:27 am 

gravelstudios wrote:
I'm sure this has probably been covered before, but wanted to share anyway.
I was really surprised to see that this uses roughly half as many cycles, for just a handful of extra bytes of code. I understood in theory that a loop which makes 256 comparisons would take more cycles that a loop that only makes 32, but I had never actually tried it and looked at the difference in speed.

Many short loops have roughly 50% overhead. If a loop has 50% overhead, unrolling it even to 2x will cut execution time by 25%. To 4x would offer another 17% (12.5 percentage points from the original time). The benefits going from 4X to e.g. 64X would be fairly slight, but going from 1x to 2x is huge.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 9:53 am 

Meanwhile, I just helped Snes9x get a tiny performance boost by getting rid of an unrolled loop. If it's modern, unrolling doesn't help. If it's ancient, it does.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:25 am 

I would assume the compiler for just about any modern language could convert a for loop into the most optimized assembly code possible without too much fuss on the part of the programmer. There's really no reason to do anything convoluted.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:26 am 

LDX #28 and doing four DEX at a time will speed it up even more, as only the Y coordinate really needs to be cleared.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:09 am 

gravelstudios wrote:
I would assume the compiler for just about any modern language could convert a for loop into the most optimized assembly code possible without too much fuss on the part of the programmer. There's really no reason to do anything convoluted.

Unrolling loops is a well-known optimisation technique for 65xx CPUs (and sometimes others). It's sometimes more efficient than a rolled loop, and other times the opposite is better. Every situation is different/needs vary.

I'm kind of confused by this statement, though. Where is a compiler involved? You wrote native 6502 code, so you were using an assembler, not a compiler. There is a substantial difference.

Not to mention, you didn't even disclose *what* assembler you were using, re: assumptions that an assembler/tool would know how/when to turn a rolled loop into an unrolled loop (hint: most assemblers will not do this for you, *ever*. If that surprises you, respectfully of course, pause for a moment and think about the ramifications of automatically changing someone's 6502 instructions around on them. You're working with the CPU at the lowest level possible from a programming perspective; this is not an "intermediate" higher-level language like C).

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:12 am 

Unrolled loops are a good concept. If the assembly has a .repeat directive, this is often a good place to use it, too.
Code:
LDA #31
LDA #$FE
@loop:
  .repeat 8, I
    STA spriteTable + (32 * I), X
  .endrepeat
  DEX
  BPL @loop
RTS

Another general thought is to avoid overlapping work. In this case any sprite you clear that gets overwritten becomes a redundancy. Instead you might clear only what's left over after filling up the used portion of the sprites.

Though, once it's only taking up the slack in this way, it probably becomes less necessary to optimize it at all. Typically if there's fewer sprites on the screen, there's more CPU time remaining, and when there's more sprites on the screen, less time will be spent in the clearing loop anyway, so the load might be balanced in such a way that this particular task is never becomes a performance issue. (This is not always the case, but I think it is typical.)

Also, not that you need it for this situation, but you can still unroll a loop even if the number of steps is variable: C example (same idea applies in assembly)

Just as a funny analogue, the strange way that out of bounds areas typically look in 3D games tends to come from a similar reason to what I suggested for sprites. 3D games often don't clear the screen before they start drawing to it, because they expect it to be entirely covered up by the time everything else has drawn on top. It's another attempt to avoid redundancy.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:49 pm 

Quote:
LDX #28 and doing four DEX at a time will speed it up even more, as only the Y coordinate really needs to be cleared.
I never thought about this. that's a really good idea.
Quote:
Where is a compiler involved? You wrote native 6502 code, so you were using an assembler, not a compiler.
I wasn't referring to my code here. I was referring to Dwedit's comment about Snes9x, which I assume is written in C++ or some other compiled language. I would assume that in C++ there's no need to unroll loops. the compiler will take care of optimizing it for you.
Quote:
Instead you might clear only what's left over after filling up the used portion of the sprites.
I tried doing something like that, but with the way I was already handling transferring sprite data from ROM to RAM and also sprite cycling, it ended up being more convoluted than it was worth. Maybe in a future project.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:00 pm 

thanks guys, i just sped my loop up 80% and it makes quite a bit of difference on the boss battles where there are a lot of objects flying around at once.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:07 pm 

So here is what I think will be the final version:
Code:
ClearSpriteTable:
   LDX #60            ;note: only overwriting Y coordinate to put sprites off screen.
   LDA #$FE
   .Loop:
      STA spriteTable, X
      STA spriteTable + 64, X
      STA spriteTable + 128, X
      STA spriteTable + 192, X
      DEX
      DEX
      DEX
      DEX
      BPL .Loop

RTS
I can't believe I never thought about the fact that only the Y coordinate has to be changed to hide sprites. Thanks for pointing that out tepples. I think this version is my preferred balance between size and speed. It's turned a routine that was a cycle-eater into something trivial.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:22 pm 

tepples wrote:

Not only that, but I'd go even further and say only the Y coordinate of unused sprites needs to be cleared. If many sprites are on the screen, mazing them takes time so you'll be very glad that the routine that clears the reast of them will be faster by clearing a smaller rest. This will not compensate for the larger amount of sprites mazed (and the time it took to maze them), but this will still help getting the overall CPU load under control.

Last edited by Bregalad on Thu May 09, 2019 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:25 pm 

gravelstudios wrote:
I wasn't referring to my code here. I was referring to Dwedit's comment about Snes9x, which I assume is written in C++ or some other compiled language. I would assume that in C++ there's no need to unroll loops. the compiler will take care of optimizing it for you.

Ah, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

No, this is a common misconception about software today -- that somehow the compiler (or PL in general) always knows what's best. I think in 2019 compilers do a pretty good job of making intelligent choices based on tons of heuristics, but there are still cases where doing something manually (ex. unrolling a loop) can result in more performant code. Godbolt (for C/C++) can sometimes come in handy for analysing stuff like this on a per-compiler and per-compiler-version basis, if the routine/thing is simple. I've run into this situation with Perl, Python, etc. as well ("edge cases" where doing something in a loop one way is worse than another way, but both still worse than doing it unrolled). Every situation varies.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 1:55 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
Not only that, but I'd go even further and say only the Y coordinate of unused sprites needs to be cleared.

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to mention this... But yeah, don't hide all the sprites beforehand, hide only the ones you haven't used once you're done generating OAM data.

Like Bregalad said, this will also help balance the time you spend on OAM manipulation on busy frames and not so busy ones... If you hide all sprites on a busy frame (lots of sprites), all the time you'll spend hiding them will be for nothing, since you'll end up bringing all sprites back, which will take even more time, increasing the chances of slowdowns.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:16 pm 

The way my sprite copying/cycling routine works right now relies on all of the sprites being cleared off the screen first. I tried to patch it up to only move the sprites off-screen that aren't being used, but it would have involved reworking a lot of other code to make it work right, and I decided it wasn't worth the hassle. Now that I know more, maybe I will try to engineer things that way from the start on my next project.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:38 pm 

Really? You are able to claim OAM slots for actual sprites, obviously... how is that any different from claiming them for "dummy" sprites which actually just put the Y coordinate off-screen? Whatever method you're using for selecting OAM slots for use, do the exact same thing for putting the remaining Y coordinates off-screen, until all 64 slots have been claimed.

You'd have to give up some of the optimizations suggested in this thread if you can't clear the slots sequentially, but you'd avoid that worst case where all slots are written to twice.