It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: NES Test
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:18 pm 

What's the quickest way to create a test cart? I don't mind taking a NES cartridge that I have a overwriting the data on it. What would I need to do such a thing? Obviously, I would need to connect the PC up to the cartridge and all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

If you want to connect a PC to a cartridge, something like an EPROM emulator would the way to go. I've seen one for about $90, which is a bit more expensive than using an EPROM programmer and a couple AT29C256s. A ROM emulator lets you change the program and re-upload a lot faster though (will have to have 2 emus or use CHR-RAM though if you want gfx).

Also there's my Squeedo board, I could sell or loan one for $100 (refundable if a loan, minus paypal fee and/or shipping cost). Squeedo uses an RS232 port, turn the NES off then on to reset, and upload the program with XMODEM through any terminal prog.

CopyNES with a RAM or Flashcart would work well too. Pricing for the assembled version of my UNROM Flashcart for CopyNES starts at $19 (for no case or CIC). Works fine with an external chip burner too, if you don't want to desolder an NES cart or get a CopyNES. Bare PCB = $5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:24 pm 

Ok. I would like the cheapest method. I am a real noob when it comes to this. I don't want to spend $90, but $5 is fine by me. If you could point me in the direction of somewhere to buy then that would be fantastic. I do have some questions though. How would I connect my PC up to the PCB? Do I need any special hardware to burn the EEPROM?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:03 pm 

WedNESday wrote:
I don't want to spend $90, but $5 is fine by me.

Then it'll be hard, pal.

Quote:
How would I connect my PC up to the PCB? Do I need any special hardware to burn the EEPROM?

Of course you do. The (E)EPROM programmer. The easiest way to run software on the NES is not by directly connecting your PC to a cart, but by programming a chip with the programmer, at the PC side, and then placing that chip on the board.

Depending on how often you want to change the thing you are testing, an EPROM emulator, as Memblers said, might be a good choice. The bad part is that they're expensive (more than the programmer), and you'll need two: one for PRG and for CHR, if not using CHR-RAM. If your "rewrite rate" is something more modest, you should go with the EPROM programmer. I use mine with Flash ROMs, not EPROMs. Flash ROMs don't need to be erased, you can just rewrite them (as opposed to EPROMs, that need 20+ minutes of direct UV light to erase), and the writing only takes a few seconds, so rewriting them is pretty quick. It seems that they can be rewritten about 10000 times, wich means that even if you rewrite them several times a day they're likely to last a few years.

I decided to get the programmer instead of the emulator(s), mainly because it's cheaper and it's more versatile (can program many different types of chips, even permanently if you wish - the emulator will always be temporary).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:18 am 

Memblers wrote:
CopyNES with a RAM or Flashcart would work well too. Pricing for the assembled version of my UNROM Flashcart for CopyNES starts at $19 (for no case or CIC). Works fine with an external chip burner too, if you don't want to desolder an NES cart or get a CopyNES.

I wouldn't mind spending $19 either. The idea of me not opening anything up sounds good too lol. Having just checked up on a NES flashcart, I would say that it is exactly what I am looking for. Could you elaborate on this a little more please. Do you have pictures of your UNROM Flashcart?