Which mapper layout do you find most useful?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

gauauu

Re: Which mapper layout do you find most useful?

Post by gauauu » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:55 am

tokumaru wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:13 am
My solution for avoiding too much back and forth and/or data copying is to include copies of the subroutines that use a specific type of data in all banks that include data of that type.
I do this as well, but I sure wish that the standard tools (ca65, ld65) made it a little easier to do so. If ld65 would allow a segment to be placed in multiple memory locations, that would be a game-changer. (although I"m sure there's good reasons that they don't allow it)

Back to the original question: like Tokumaru said, I'm less worried about the PRG banking scheme. You might have to do a little more work for 32kb, but it's not a big deal. I could definitely get behind relatively fine-grained banking of CHR-RAM though. But in reality, I tend to use GTROM for a lot of things because it's huge and it's cheap.

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:08 am

gauauu wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:55 am
I sure wish that the standard tools (ca65, ld65) made it a little easier to do so.
Agreed. Repeating code and making sure it's placed at the same address every time can be a bit annoying in any assembler I'm aware of. Fortunately that's one of those things that once you set up for the first time, you can largely forget about for the rest of the development time.

calima

Post by calima » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:12 am

@Pokun
For prototyping, does a NES adapter not work? Those mappers don't have the extra sound channels.

tepples

Post by tepples » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:12 am

gauauu wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:55 am
I do this as well, but I sure wish that the standard tools (ca65, ld65) made it a little easier to do so. If ld65 would allow a segment to be placed in multiple memory locations, that would be a game-changer. (although I"m sure there's good reasons that they don't allow it)
I made a workaround for this. The resetstub_in macro in snrom-template and bnrom-template gets called in a dedicated part of each bank.