Are there any Vs Arcade homebrew games?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

Goose2k

Are there any Vs Arcade homebrew games?

Post by Goose2k » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:23 am

Is anyone aware of any homebrew titles for the Nintendo Vs Unisystem/Dualsystem Arcade?

I am working on a port of From Below to the system, and I *think* it may have the distiction of being the first game for the system since 1989! (Need to double check the last commercial release but you get the idea)

I want to verify that though before I start saying so publicly :lol:

lidnariq

Re: Are there any Vs Arcade homebrew games?

Post by lidnariq » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:40 pm

As far as I know, the only things written for the Vs. System since the commercial lifetime have been my characterization ROMs.

I remember someone asking miau (morphcat) to port Micro Mages - because of the 4 player mode - but I don't think anything came of that.

There've been any homebrew ported to the PC10 because it's enough more similar to the NES, I suppose.

Goose2k

Post by Goose2k » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:54 pm

lidnariq wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:40 pm
As far as I know, the only things written for the Vs. System since the commercial lifetime have been my characterization ROMs.

I remember someone asking miau (morphcat) to port Micro Mages - because of the 4 player mode - but I don't think anything came of that.

There've been any homebrew ported to the PC10 because it's enough more similar to the NES, I suppose.
What are your characterization roms? Are they available?

I've never seen the player choice roms out there. Do you know where I can find them?

lidnariq

Post by lidnariq » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:21 pm

Goose2k wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:54 pm
What are your characterization roms? Are they available?
Various tests to determine and/or verify behavior by the machine. They're linked from our wiki Vs. System page in the "See also" section.
I've never seen the playchoice roms out there. Do you know where I can find them?
NovaSquirrel has viewtopic.php?p=168565#p168565
Nocash has https://problemkaputt.de/magicflr.htm
there's probably others but I don't remember them

Goose2k

Post by Goose2k » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:14 pm

Thanks!