Vs System Coin Counter Questions

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

Goose2k

Vs System Coin Counter Questions

Post by Goose2k » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:28 pm

I am working on a Vs. System port of my game From Below.

I have not yet written any code to write to $4020 yet. This is supposed to be how you increment the "coin counter".

http://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/Vs._ ... 2C_.26c.29

However, when a user runs my game on a dualsystem, he sees the coin counter increase.

I have put data breakpoints in Messen to verify that no data is being written there.

Is it possible only the Secondary CPU needs handle this or something? Or did some arcade hardware wire this up directly, rather than relying on the game?
nes2_counter.gif
nes2_counter.gif (3.06 MiB) Viewed 2642 times
Attachments
counter.png
data_break.png
data_break.png (9.56 KiB) Viewed 2643 times

lidnariq

Re: Vs System Coin Counter Questions

Post by lidnariq » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:43 pm

Both sides of the Vs. System are supposed to have their own coin counter. If you aren't accessing $4020-$5FFF (read, write, execute) then I really have no idea how you're seeing that.

I don't suppose the person testing for you noticed anything else happening on-screen at the same time?

Goose2k

Post by Goose2k » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:54 pm

Nevermind... heard back from the person and they were putting coins in the other side of the Dualsystem machine. They were just showing me what it should look like. :oops:

frantik

Post by frantik » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:37 pm

if only all our bugs could be this easy to solve :mrgreen: