Make a VT game work on nes

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

kelvin donna

Make a VT game work on nes

Post by kelvin donna »

hello, i need help.
i have found a vt game, that has vt02 graphics.
any chance to program it compatible for standard emulators other than nintendulator NRS (maybe cut out the PCM Audio entirely)?

the game is stored in the attachment
Attachments
Backgammon.nes
(256.02 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
kelvin donna

Re: Make a VT game work on nes

Post by kelvin donna »

and here are a couple of other games, that i want to have normal nes, that could work in standard vt02 nes format

[ROMs deleted --MOD]
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Those ROM images aren't copyrighted, are they? Because if they are, I'm pretty sure it's very against the forum rules to post them here.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

Backgammon and Wave Tiger are VT369 games, running the main CPU at 5.37 MHz and requiring a second CPU for sound. The others are VT03 games, requiring VT03 graphics and a custom ADPCM sound chip, notwithstanding that you changed the header to incorrectly denote VT02. None of these games can ever be made to run on a standard NES.
kelvin donna

Post by kelvin donna »

NewRisingSun wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:57 am Backgammon and Wave Tiger are VT369 games, running the main CPU at 5.37 MHz and requiring a second CPU for sound. The others are VT03 games, requiring VT03 graphics and a custom ADPCM sound chip, notwithstanding that you changed the header to incorrectly denote VT02. None of these games can ever be made to run on a standard NES.
let me explain:
backgammon has vt02 graphics.
all we need to do, is to cut out the adpcm.
and the other games can do vt02 but with weakenend palletes
kelvin donna

Post by kelvin donna »

Quietust wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:49 am Those ROM images aren't copyrighted, are they? Because if they are, I'm pretty sure it's very against the forum rules to post them here.
i apologize.
they are not copyrighted
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

Yes, they are copyrighted:

http://www.ipyear.cn/copyright/detail_2007SR01138.html

Registration number: 2007SR01138
Name: 《WAVE TIGER--深海之虎》游戏软件 [Deep Sea Tiger - Game Software]
Copyright owner: 福州外星电脑科技有限公司 [Fuzhou Waixing Computer Technology Co. Ltd.]
Registration date: 2007-01-18
Publication date: 2006-09-25

I have saved myself the trouble of looking up the other games, but I expect them to be copyrighted just like this one.
kelvin donna

Post by kelvin donna »

NewRisingSun wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:15 am Yes, they are copyrighted:

http://www.ipyear.cn/copyright/detail_2007SR01138.html

Registration number: 2007SR01138
Name: 《WAVE TIGER--深海之虎》游戏软件 [Deep Sea Tiger - Game Software]
Copyright owner: 福州外星电脑科技有限公司 [Fuzhou Waixing Computer Technology Co. Ltd.]
Registration date: 2007-01-18
Publication date: 2006-09-25

I have saved myself the trouble of looking up the other games, but I expect them to be copyrighted just like this one.
sorry.
could you please give the new nintendulator nrs windows xp compatibility?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

There is EmuVT, which is based on NNNesterJ, it will probably run the games. But EmuVT's accuracy for the base NES console seems a bit spotty, as it is based on NNNesterJ, which fell behind in accuracy as emulators improved.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
kelvin donna

Post by kelvin donna »

Dwedit wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:30 am There is EmuVT, which is based on NNNesterJ, it will probably run the games. But EmuVT's accuracy for the base NES console seems a bit spotty, as it is based on NNNesterJ, which fell behind in accuracy as emulators improved.
so maybe, we could implant the vt03 compatibility into pocketnes on gba.
kelvin donna

Post by kelvin donna »

but my true biggest desire is to run 5 of these games on pocketnes.
Worldwide Top Scorer
Wave Tiger
Table Soccer
Funny Coins
Zuma (Pyramid)
would be nice, if someone could be kind to do this wish for me and if it is done, then i'll stop annoying
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

I would have to go out of my way to install the Windows XP Platform toolset. Too much trouble for too little benefit, so no. You should not be using XP these days anyway. I can understand people not wanting to switch to Windows 10 because of forced updates and telemetry, but I cannot see why people still would want to use XP.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

The biggest difference between the "Windows XP" toolset and the non XP toolset is how thread-local storage is implemented. Vista and onward use one of the segmentation registers to point to thread local storage, while XP and earlier do not. So any time a program uses thread-local storage, it will crash on XP with an access violation.

The "Windows XP" toolset also supports Windows 2000, and earlier operating systems, it's the traditional Win32 that was established from Windows 95, 98, and NT 4.0.

I figure it's worth building on that toolset just because it also improves compatibility with Wine.

So again, if you're not making use of thread-local storage (will get a slight boost with the non-XP toolset), and don't need the newest C++ standard, the XP toolset is just fine.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
kelvin donna

Post by kelvin donna »

NewRisingSun wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:41 pm
I would have to go out of my way to install the Windows XP Platform toolset. Too much trouble for too little benefit, so no. You should not be using XP these days anyway. I can understand people not wanting to switch to Windows 10 because of forced updates and telemetry, but I cannot see why people still would want to use XP.
actually the error of nintendulator is the "exe is not a valid win32 application"
NewRisingSun

Post by NewRisingSun »

I am not so much worried about using the Windows XP toolset as I am about installing it, just to satisfy a single user who persistently makes rather extravagant requests across several forums, including this thread. I have not had people report issues with regards to Wine compatibility, and nobody else demanded Windows XP compatibility. It's still a "no" from me.
Last edited by NewRisingSun on Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.