A Guide to Porting NES Games to the Vs. Arcade System

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

Goose2k

A Guide to Porting NES Games to the Vs. Arcade System

Post by Goose2k » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:49 pm

I have attempted to collect all the steps I went through in porting From Below [NES, 2020] to the Nintendo Vs. Arcade System.

Although I go on at length about nice to have features, the amount of work required to get an NROM game functional is actually very small. I encourage anyone with their own game to give it a shot, and help out that community who is very hungry for new content!

http://www.matthughson.com/2021/02/18/c ... stem-game/

As I mentioned in the article, I am happy to help out anyone who wants to give this a shot!

Huge thanks to Lidnariq for all the help along the way, and the fantastic documentation!

If anyone is looking to "break new ground", I think creating the first ever 4 player Vs. Dual System Arcade game would be a great place to start! :D
Attachments
En4PzhCUcAEtqet.jpeg

Pokun

Re: A Guide to Porting NES Games to the Vs. Arcade System

Post by Pokun » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:42 am

Thank you for this guide. I've always wanted to try this sometime. I don't have a VS System, but it can at least still be somewhat tested on a Famicom with a microphone.

Goose2k

Post by Goose2k » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:50 am

Pokun wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:42 am
Thank you for this guide. I've always wanted to try this sometime. I don't have a VS System, but it can at least still be somewhat tested on a Famicom with a microphone.
Nice! Let me know if you do. Just curious: what's the significance of the Microphone? I don't know of any microphone on the Vs. Arcade, but I'm new to this.

Quietust

Post by Quietust » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:08 am

Goose2k wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:50 am
Pokun wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:42 am
Nice! Let me know if you do. Just curious: what's the significance of the Microphone? I don't know of any microphone on the Vs. Arcade, but I'm new to this.
The microphone in the Famicom's second controller is connected to $4016 bit 2 (not a bit in $4017 as one might expect). That same bit is connected to the Service Button in the Vs. System.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.

Pokun

Post by Pokun » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:46 pm

Yes, and that means you can insert coins in some VS System games that uses the Service Button by blowing into the microphone. I've tried VS Super Mario Bros with my Everdrive, and it's playable this way. Of course the palette is wrong with this game on the Famicom's NTSC PPU.