Assembly Source Code Examples: Good Practices?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Benjamin_

Assembly Source Code Examples: Good Practices?

Post by Benjamin_ »

Hey All,

I'm new to the NES / 6502 community and excited to get more involved and get creating on the platform.

I've run through tutorials and got to grips with assembly and getting the core functionality working in emulators, and wanting to move on to a small project. I'm a game dev by day (c#) and more interested in learning some of the good practices of assembly coding / NES game development. Programme structure, algorthms suited to assembly etc.

Are there a few "good code practice" source code examples people would suggest?

Want to stick to assembly (just for personal interest) but interested to hear any examples people have found helpful to look into. (Had a look through the NesDev wiki and their source code example, just wondering which ones are a good starting reference point for pure assembly)
Pokun

Re: Assembly Source Code Examples: Good Practices?

Post by Pokun »

If you already understand some assembly I recommend looking at Rainwarrior's and Tepple's NROM examples.

The Nerdy Nights audio tutorial is also a good next step after you've learned the basics. It teaches some basic graphics as well as sound.
Garth

Re: Assembly Source Code Examples: Good Practices?

Post by Garth »

A good recent topic that should interest you is Making "Good" Assembly Code. Macros, used correctly, can dramatically raise the level of the language, with no penalties in run speed or memory taken.
http://WilsonMinesCo.com/ lots of 6502 resources