It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:38 am 
Site Admin

Hey,

I should be able to start selling them probably in a month. For around $80, how does that sound?

But, as has been mentioned in some past threads, Squeedo's hardware is different from what most games used. Megaman 1 may be able to run on it, but it's likely to have graphic glitches making it unplayable. The later Megaman games, and a lot of other games definitely can't work on it.

It's pretty easy to use. The quickest way will be to run a program to upload the file on PC (.NES, .NSF, or raw prg), then you turn the NES on (or cycle the power) and it should automatically download, flash the prg, and run it. Same method for flashing the PIC microcontroller too, just using a different upload program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:02 am 
is there a way to construct a cart that can have any game (only one per transfer then you switch ect....?

Tell me about it i would be so in for that....
im new in the ''nes Dev ''scene
thanks memblers for quick reply|!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Nope, you're limited to the 'mapper' that's on the cart. Noone has made a universal one. So you'd need to modify a cart for each mapper, and program some flash or eprom chips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:47 am 

Potential practical issues with the Squeedo design, as I understand it:
  • I'd imagine that the PIC introduces latency. Thus mid-scanline bankswitching might be a bit tougher. In addition, the 2D lookup table technique of setting the bank to one register then indexing off another register won't work without a lot of speed-killing NOPs to wait for the PIC to catch up.
  • In addition, the VRAM bankswitching is 8 KB like CNROM, meaning you can't easily do a SMB2-style background CHR rotation loop, but if your scrolling isn't really fast, then perhaps you might be able to do it Battletoads style, with a hyper-unrolled copy of 8 tiles per frame.
  • With 32 KB bankswitching, you'll be limited in the amount of DMC samples you can use, as you'll have to either reproduce them in every bank (which you have admitted that the loader is capable of) or copy your whole game engine and map data into SRAM. (This is part of why Battletoads pauses the game whenever playing a sample.)
I wonder if an MMC3 clone would fit on a cheap CPLD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:06 pm 

Only one project to make a universal NES cart has gotten anywhere. The creator decided early on to not just make a universal flash cart, which involves cloning hundreds of different game cart circuits, but also to clone the NES too. It is called FPGA NES:
http://tripoint.org/kevtris/Projects/console/

It will be able to play every game, and support every peripherial. It is still under development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:24 am 
Site Admin

tepples wrote:
[list][*]I'd imagine that the PIC introduces latency. Thus mid-scanline bankswitching might be a bit tougher.

Yeah, without knowing the amount of time taken by the PIC to do it, it'd be guesswork. When it's finalized I'll document the timing, and also release the source for the register handling for reference. It should be accurate within 1 or 2 6502 cycles for sure.

It's also feasible to have the PIC handle bankswitching independantly, with a frame being reset by an NMI acknowledge from the NES. It could save the NES a lot of work if that's done mid-line.

Quote:
[*]In addition, the VRAM bankswitching is 8 KB like CNROM, meaning you can't easily do a SMB2-style background CHR rotation loop, but if your scrolling isn't really fast, then perhaps you might be able to do it Battletoads style, with a hyper-unrolled copy of 8 tiles per frame.

Yep. Also the RAM bankswitching gives a new advantage (assuming you need or want to animate everything at once), because you can have the partially-updated version of the bank only switched in during vblank. Like double-buffering. So you can spread an update across several frames for really huge changes with no visible tearing.

But yeah, these are all important points to keep in mind for anyone who's used to working with the ASIC-based mappers. Those are the main disadvantages in comparison to MMC1,3,etc. But I think a program that plays well to Squeedo's strengths could do things never seen before on NES. Especially when running useful code in the PIC, it's like parallel processing. Other than when playing sound with my synth code, the PIC has tons of idle time to put to use. It's just up to figuring how and what to make it do, heheh.