It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Fun with sprites
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:16 am 

Hi everyone. I'm learning nesasm, and I'm trying to do some fancy stuff with sprites. Is there any way in which I can READ from the sprite memory to see the state of each sprite, or am I limited to only writing to a sprite memory location? It seems a bit redundant to store the state of each sprite in both main memory and sprite memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:34 am 

you can read/write the sprite regs (not necesary supported by many emulators) but it slower than a ram copy and pasting to sprram through dma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

If sprite memory can be read, it would probably only be safe to do during vblank. This is good maybe if you have only a couple sprites, but any significant amount of them is way more efficient to do DMA with.

It's not like you'll miss a page of RAM that much. :) You could always reclaim most of the RAM page at $0100 for other purposes, if you don't use the stack a whole lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:06 pm 

Memblers wrote:
You could always reclaim most of the RAM page at $0100 for other purposes, if you don't use the stack a whole lot.

I seem to remember that one of your own games (Munchie Attack?) has a bug where it pushes to the stack but doesn't pop, and FCEU's real-time memory viewer shows that the stack pointer marches rawther rapidly through page $0100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

tepples wrote:
Memblers wrote:
You could always reclaim most of the RAM page at $0100 for other purposes, if you don't use the stack a whole lot.

I seem to remember that one of your own games (Munchie Attack?) has a bug where it pushes to the stack but doesn't pop, and FCEU's real-time memory viewer shows that the stack pointer marches rawther rapidly through page $0100.

Haha, yeah I noticed that bug too, recently. It was Munchie Attack, the control routine had a useless PHA instruction when you push a certain direction. I only found it when I started using the top of that page for some variables (indirect address for multiple NMI vectors).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:35 pm 

Thanks for the help! I'm not too good at the DMA stuff, but I guess it is pretty simple just to store the sprite states in the main memory.