Nice Nintendo Portable

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Anes

Nice Nintendo Portable

Post by Anes »

Searching for pictures of PSP i found this page. This guy like to convert all (or at least the machines he likes) to a portable thing.
Maybe a lot of you already know it, but for the case that someones not (like me):

http://www.benheck.com/Games/Nintendo_p ... Micro1.htm
ANes
Jagasian

Re: Nice Nintendo Portable

Post by Jagasian »

Anes wrote:Searching for pictures of PSP i found this page. This guy like to convert all (or at least the machines he likes) to a portable thing.
Maybe a lot of you already know it, but for the case that someones not (like me):

http://www.benheck.com/Games/Nintendo_p ... Micro1.htm
Too bad that he uses crappy NOAC based famiclones as the core hardware.
gannon

Post by gannon »

Yeah, him and some of the forum users make some good stuff (nothing too fancy as far as electronics go usually though). I just started finalizing mine (putty, sanding, paint) http://benheck.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=18422
Anes

Post by Anes »

gannon wrote:Yeah, him and some of the forum users make some good stuff (nothing too fancy as far as electronics go usually though). I just started finalizing mine (putty, sanding, paint) http://benheck.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=18422
i taked a look to your portable project and it looks quite cool. Very good desing. I liked it to much (Talking seriously). :D
ANes
tepples

Post by tepples »

Jagasian wrote:Too bad that he uses crappy NOAC based famiclones as the core hardware.
These NES experiments have to be based on a process-shrink, and NOAC is the most viable way to achieve this. So what non-crappy NOAC based famiclones would you recommend?
blargg

Post by blargg »

These NES experiments have to be based on a process-shrink
I wonder if the Quarter Shrinker would help...
gannon

Post by gannon »

NOACs are nice because of their size and power requirements, but with some basic modding you can make a portable using a real NES that's not *too* much bigger than a few carts stacked on top of each other. I'd love to make one with a 5" LCD and the PowerPak :P
tepples

Post by tepples »

I'd love to see the NES in a Wii lookalike case. Screw the Virtual Console; bring on the Actual Console :-)
dXtr

Post by dXtr »

tepples wrote:I'd love to see the NES in a Wii lookalike case. Screw the Virtual Console; bring on the Actual Console :-)
well here's the snes anyway :)
http://kotomiblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/ ... r-nii.html
Sorry for misspellings, I'm from Sweden ^^
commodorejohn

Post by commodorejohn »

tepples wrote:
Jagasian wrote:Too bad that he uses crappy NOAC based famiclones as the core hardware.
These NES experiments have to be based on a process-shrink, and NOAC is the most viable way to achieve this. So what non-crappy NOAC based famiclones would you recommend?
Eh, what we really need is someone to engineer a GPLed accurate NOAC. If it was GPLed, I don't think it would take too long for Famiclone makers to adopt that instead.
[size=0]"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences."
- P.J. O'Rourke[/size]
gannon

Post by gannon »

Fairly sure most inaccuracies in the NOACs are due to cost cutting/low manufacturing qualities, not design.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Too many NOACs found in famiclones have the pulse phases $40 and $80 swapped. How is this cost cutting? It's just swapping two inputs to a function.
gannon

Post by gannon »

I said most, not all :P
commodorejohn

Post by commodorejohn »

Yeah, tepples is right - my NOAC-based Neo Fami has that problem. I can't see any good reason for it at all.
[size=0]"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences."
- P.J. O'Rourke[/size]
CKY-2K/Clay Man

Post by CKY-2K/Clay Man »

The design is very very nice.

If I was rich I'd buy it as a collective, despite all the flaws in the hardware.
Here to at least get an idea of how the NES works. I mean I know alot of the basic things, but this place'll help me grasp more how NES functions.
Major respect to NES developers.